Help identifying old cast iron stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HotHotStove

Jul 22, 2021
Toronto
Hi. I acquired an old stove and have no idea what it is. The prior owner has passed so there’s no information available off hand. I searched the stove high and low for any markings but couldn’t find any. All I can seem to gather is that it is an Victorian box style wood stove. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3D4D31C9-550D-4634-BCE8-2CFF689E5660.jpeg FBF7E34C-11B8-44E6-B984-D4DF314FC6ED.jpeg 90F51D39-9EE0-4C57-AAC4-29D17D34F3E4.jpeg A885D062-81C8-4D92-96AE-6C16B4167493.jpeg

With no identifying marks it may be a Taiwanese parlor stove copy.

Try this link: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/will-a-new-stove-be-better.25296/
Sometimes when you right click on a picture a list will come up choose "search Google for image" This brought me right back to this forum.
That was for a Washington Stove Works parlor stove. Note that they had their info in the castings. Most foundries proudly displayed their name and model on the stove but the Taiwan knockoffs were trying to sneak into the market, often with no ID.

I seen on the castings on the old Taiwanese knock off stoves signs of the original manufacturers logos could be seen. Stove castings rarely have sharp corners and have a radius. The castings I have seen on occasion look like someone ground the logo off but did not level the area with the surroundings.

Its interesting to see how Taiwan went from cheap knock offs to being the #1 producer of complex semiconductors in the world. One of the reasons China has not stomped on them yet is that they are dependent on Taiwanese chips as much as the rest of the world.

Reactions: D. Hermit
In 1960 Japan had a reputation here for cheap Japanese junk, in spite of making good domestic products for their local markets. Roll the clock forward 25 years and by 1985 Japan was owning the electronics and automotive industry. Sony TVs and Walkmen we considered the best and Honda and Toyotas were top sellers.