Help me and my wife select our stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koontzy

Hearth Supporter
Jan 28, 2010
South Carolina
I grew up in Indiana, and all my childhood we had a wood stove, love the smell, the heat, and the fire:)

I am older now, and married with 3 kids. Me and my wife just bought a 2150 sq foot cinderblock house in SC.

It doesnt get really really cold down here, think the coldest I have seen in 5 years is in the teens, but in the winter it averages around 25-30. I love stoves though and fires, so I may burn some in the spring and fall also:)

Looking for something along the cheaper side, but my wife says it has to at least look halfway decent.
Due to the type of house and its age we spent alot of our money on fixing it up, and it already has a fireplace, so I would like to get a insert to put in it...I dont have measurements of it right now and dont know what to measure, but I think the size of it is around 3 feet wide, by 3 ft tall and roughl around 2 feet deep( I think, me and my brother are trying to rem)

The price is the big thing though, would like to try and keep it under 1000, and preferraly under 800

Thanks

Welcome aboard. I have some bad news. There are no inserts in that price range. But the good news is that if the fireplace opening is really that large, perhaps a whole stove can fit in there. We'll know better once we get the actual dimensions. If it is so, then a nice Englander 30NC stove might fit in and look great. Do a search on BrotherBart's installation for pictures.

Are there any regular stoves in the price range? that would heat me house?

cause we were thinking bout keeping our fireplace or doing something else with it later on?

What price range would I be looking at for a insert? I will get the dimensions tormorrow:)

But what regular stoves could I get that would work for us?

Thanks

As BeGreen mentioned, the Englander would heat that house, price is about $800-$1000 for the stove.

Welcome and good luck!

If your budget is fixed at 800 to $1,000, I second the Englander/Summer's Heat recommendation. One of the best bang-for-the-buck plate steel stoves on the market today. The NC30 should have no problem providing you with plenty of heat. Now, keep in mind that today's stoves work by burning the volatile gases released by wood's primary combustion. This requires wood with a moisture content of, preferably, less than 25% generally speaking (20 and under is better). This means that your wood supply for the winter should be cut/split/stacked for one year before use.

If you don't have fuel like this or cannot purchase fuel like this, you will find your experience the first winter frustrating at best. Welcome to the forums, and I hope we can find you a stove that will meet your needs and budget. Keep the tax credit in mind!

Englander/Summersheat +3. Look at my avatar. NC-13 hearth mounted and heats my 1500 sq ft ranch to 78* in the family room 74* around the rest of the house. I would have put in the 30 in if it fit. Man that would have been warm.
I paid $800 then it got marked down to $679 the next day and got credited. I put a SS insulated liner up the chimney. Dry wood is key also!

check Lowes for a Summersheat on markdown. let your wife pick the stove or don't get one, that's a lesson I learned the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.