Help me choose between pellet stoves...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kellypearson

Oct 6, 2008
Southern NH
Hi. My husband and I are buying a house near Concord, NH. The heat bills that the owner's showed us for last year were very expensive. We want to get a pellet stove, but are so confused about which one to buy.

Our new home is 1500 square feet dormered cape. There's no room to put the stove upstairs, so we will install it in the basement with proper venting for the heat to rise.

We narrowed down our choices to the Hudson River Stove Works "West Point" for $2,100. Check it out at http://www.csnstores.com/Hudson-River-Stove-Works-West-Point-HRS1008.html . OR Summer Heat's 2200 sq foot Utility Stove for $1700 (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...l&productId=41171-76845-55-SHP240L&lpage=none)

Can someone help me compare the two stoves? I'm so confused and hear a different story from everyone. All I know is that I need a stove that won't nickle and dime us with repairs. We have the money to purchase the more expensive one, but don't want to throw away money if I can get the same thing for less.

Thank you for your help.

2 things to consider. Is your basement finished and what are the fire codes in your area. If the basement is NOT finished then don't bother. The concrete wall will eat most of the heat and it will not rise to the floor above at a noticeable rate. If your basement is finished then I would check the fire codes before you cut anything into your floors.

I realize this is not what you want to hear...but..
Everyone on here will tell you to put the stove where you will spend
the most time. Considering the basement isn't finished, I doubt
you will be spending much time down there. Have a fireplace?
I'd get an insert if you are intent on getting a stove for this heating
season. Or even a free standing with a hearth extension like many
of us have done. I just think it would be a waste of money to put
it in the basement all things considered but that's just my opinion.
I'm sure many others will comment.

Also have to ask why were the heating bills so high? Is the home heated with oil, nat. gas, other?
Is it well insulated? If not, I'd spend the money on getting it heavily
insulated instead of a stove. Again, just my 2c. Good luck whatever you choose.

Trying to get heat from the basement to the main living quarters sound like it should be as easy as letting the heat go up the stairs, but it doesn't work well. Pellet stoves are best placed in the area you plan to spend the most time in.

I agree with macman. Place the stove where you want the heat. You will get benefit heat in nearby rooms but trying to heat a whole floor above will not be effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.