Please help me vent a new pellet stove through exisiting chimney...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_P

Dec 3, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
Hello - and thank you for reading,

We would like to install a pellet stove in our condo and vent it through an exisiting wood burning stove chimney. The old owners capped off the chimney and removed the old wood stove. The problem I am running into is it seems there are no adapters from the existing chimney that will fit a 4" pellet vent pipe.

Current Chimney:
-- 7" ID
-- 9" OD
-- Looks double walled
-- I cannot tell who the manufacturer is

Current pellet vent pipe
-- I haven't baught it yet - but it will be 4"
-- I am leaning towards Excel pellet vent (maybe duravent if excel is super expensive)

Can you please give me pointers as to how I can use the exisiting chimney with a new pellet vent. I can find many 6", 7" and 8" adapters to 4" pipe, but I cannot find something for a 7" ID and 9" OD to 4" pipe.

The pictures I attached are as follows:
#1 - Photo of a similar condo with the wood burning stove still attached
#2 - Photo of my current capped of chimney
#3 - Close up to chimney with cap removed
#4 - Looking straight up chimney

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you very much

Chris

Attachments

• Old Wood Stove.jpg
    Old Wood Stove.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Capped Off.jpg
    Capped Off.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Close up without Cap.jpg
    Close up without Cap.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Looking straight up.jpg
    Looking straight up.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 184
Why not just run a 4" liner all the way up it?

briansol,

Thanks for helping. I like the idea of a 4" liner. I've also read that the liner is better for draft bc the 7" chimney may be too big for the 4" pellet vent. How exactly do I go about installing a liner? What parts will I need? Again, I would like to use Excel pellet vents or Simpson duravent.

Thank you.

Chris,
Welcome. You will get plenty of advice on this. How much of the old pipe do you have? You state the pic is of someone else's stove correct? What you have there looks like old Class A pipe and that isn't kosher for pellet use although many here have used their old venting when converting from wood to pellet. Depending on what you have for existing you can run a 4" flex liner up inside the old pipe with a new cap/termination at the roof.

Oh and go with the Excel. Unless you are using DuraVent Pro the other DV is junk.

I'd go with running the pipe through the existing chimney--you will save the cost of of redoing the roof penetration. If you can't find an adapter for the interior and new cap on the exterior your installer should be able to fabricate and adapter that works and gives a good appearance.

Harman Lover 007:
  1. I do not have any of the old pipe. The only thing that still exists is the old chimney.
  2. The 1st pic is of someone else's original stove (identical condo unit as ours). All the units were originally built with those stoves included.
  3. I'd like to run the 4" flex liner up the old chmney to a new cap on the roof.
Katman:
  1. Yes, I definitely do not want to redo the roof penetration. That is beyond my skills and I would like to do this myself to save money.
  2. Do you have any suggestions for adapters on the interior? I've searched the internet high and low and cannot find anything that will fit a 7" ID and 9" OD.
  3. I realize another installer should be able to fabricate something but I'm trying to do this myself.

Does anyone have details on an adapter or how to fabricate my own (that will probably be beyond my capabilities).

Thank you again for the help
Chris

Just run flexible liner up the masonry. The 4" will fit in the 7 no problem, and it self-caps.

Just run flexible liner up the masonry. The 4" will fit in the 7 no problem, and it self-caps.
This is where I'm confused.:confused: He says he doesn't have any of the old "pipe", he just has the chimney. I assume he means he still has the roof penetration/thimble/cap and nothing else. That's why he's looking for an adapter. I don't think he has a masonry chimney at all.

How about: Pick up a piece of sheet metal larer than the outside circumference of the existing chimney at the roof penetration. Use a jig say to cut it to size to make a plate or cap that will fit the existing chimney. cut a hole in the plate for your new 4" pipe. Secure the plate to the exisating chimney with sheet metal screws and high temp silicon. You can pint the sheet metal/chimney with high temp stove paint. Even if you don't get a great cut, with silicon and paint it will look great from the floor and your chimney is sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.