Help me decide Please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

72Chevelle

Nov 17, 2014
10,000 Lakes
Hello!
I am new to this forum and I must say, there seems to be a ton of great advice around here.
In fact, I had pretty much made up my mind on buying the Vogelzang BX26E stove for my garage, but after reading all the thoughts about it on this site, I have ruled it out.
So I'm asking for help on deciding on what to get. First, let me give a little information....
I am in northern MN, Brainerd area. This is my second winter here, moved from Philly PA.
I have a 28 x 30 garage. It has insulated walls & doors, but the roof rafters are exposed. I didn't want to close it up as it makes for nice storage, but after last winter and so far this year, I know now that to get it comfortable in there to work, I need to close it up and insulate it. This year, I'm going to seal the roof with plastic. I know its not ideal, but should help keep some heat instead of trying to warm up all of MN. Over the summer, I will close it off and insulate the proper way, but for now, this is all I can afford.
Speaking of budget, I, like so many who's eyes were glowing over the Vogelzang box, am on a budget. I also have no experience with a wood stove. Having said that, I am now searching the internet for a decent used wood stove that will get this garage to a nice 45 - 55 degrees, (anything warmer is great, but this is comfortable enough for me. And I understand until the roof is properly done, 45 may be hard to reach but it's better then 0 or 10 degrees is gets in there now with nothing).
Anyway, I'm interested in a few of these stoves below. Theres not much info on the in the ads, so I can really only go on the make and style of box which is where you guys come in since I don't know crap about them.

The first is a Fisher:
29"W x 29.5"L x 31"T
8" pipe opening 6' of pipe with an elbow and damper
Double door that will fit 10" x 21" log
Screen cover to leave doors open.
This stove is in EXCELLENT condition.
$295

00u0u_3ZC7F8kgNIU_600x450_zpsf8929753.jpg

Next below is a ..... Well, I don't know. I do know I don't like when they compare their prices o Ebay prices, but you guys tell me. This one is $150 and heres all it says.... old wood stove in perfect working condition would be great for an old rustic cabin or your house go's for over $300 on ebay.

00X0X_3NP0e0pU1kM_600x450_zps0b4a264e.jpg

Next is this one below. All it says is: Cast iron wood stove. Can be loaded from the front or the side. Also have insulated pipe and cap for $300

00Q0Q_4Vcu83htnGC_600x450_zpsde3cb143.jpg

Or am I going in the wrong direction period? Are they all junk? Will any do what I need? Is there anything new for around $300ish that I can get to accomplish my needs safely? I spend quite a bit of time in my garage working on my project car, and daily drivers. The garage is not attached to the house, but is just as important to me to not burn it down or be afraid to have a fire going in a wood stove without watching out the window. Any wood stove I get will only be burning when I'm out there and not 24 / 7.
What are your thoughts guys?
Thanks in advance.
Joe

Only decent heater of the bunch is the top one. Middle one not close to an air tight and the bottom one I am 90% sure is an "overseas" knock off of a Vermont castings defiant. All 8" chimneys. I didn't see where you had a chimney already. 6" chimneys are cheaper than 8". Next, for fast heat I would suggest steel.

00K0K_aGG8wHX1ICt_600x450.jpg

This is on your CL for $400, not sure the size. If it was me, Big, Steel, 6" flue, not warped or cracked. That would be my criteria

Hi and thanks for the fast reply and input!
I saw that one you posted on CL as well. For that kind of money can I find anything new to do the job or not so much?
Sorry, I left out the chimney part. Right now I have nothing at all. I was under the assumption that I'll just have to run all new, unless a decent used stove comes with something in good condition. Am I correct in thinking it's just ducting with the correct stuff to go through to the outside?
Speaking of, can a wood stove be vented through a wall or does it need to be the roof? Or does it depend on the stove?
Thanks!

I don't think you will find anything large and new for $400. Bad time of year to look for deals. Folks seem to like the Englander NC30. That's a big ole stove for about $900 from what I have seen. Search this site for how to install a chimney. Saves us from typing what has already been typed many times over.

I'm trying to research everything as best I can so I don't ask the same questions over and over. I'll definitely research the chimney when I get closer to it.
Thanks

Hi Joe,

I see your concern. You have been doing a lot of research I guess. It is not that difficult to get under $300, moreover you just need it for your garage I suppose because you spend a lot of time over there. I got this for $289 from here. You could find more around this range say for about $300 - $400. I got mine about 6 years back and it is still good. Let me know if this was of help. Thanks!

Attachments

• chimney.JPG
    chimney.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 191
WTH? That chimnea is meant for outdoors only and would be lethal in a closed environment.

Joe, before doing anything make sure it is legal to put a wood stove in your garage. In many jurisdictions it is not. Also check with your insurance company first. If it is ok there will probably be some restrictions on what is permitted. For sure plan on spending several more hundred on a proper and safe flue system in addition to the stove and hearth costs. You might consider a tank top propane heater instead.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I thought of one of them but then just as begreen stated, it probably wouldn't be so good in a closed garage! Hahaha.....
As far as if it is legal to run a wood stove in the garage, I honestly haven't checked into that. However, being in a very rural part of the state, pretty much every shop, garage, and house is heated with wood stoves of some sort. I know that still does not mean it's legal, but if I don't do something they'll be burying me 6
' under, except they'll have to hold onto the body until spring.I know they are not allowed in the house since it's a manufactured home.
Man I just want to get out in my garage and get some work done. Being at a stand still is driving me insane!

Wood stoves are allowed in a manufactured home as long as they are certified and qualified for this type of installation. Many modern woodstoves qualify.

In your budget range a propane heater could be running today. Just be sure to pick up a CO detector when you get the heater. A wood stove is going to cost both for the proper installation of the stove but also the chimney. Then you need good dry wood or the results will be disappointing.

WTH? That chimnea is meant for outdoors only and would be lethal in a closed environment.

Joe, before doing anything make sure it is legal to put a wood stove in your garage. In many jurisdictions it is not. Also check with your insurance company first. If it is ok there will probably be some restrictions on what is permitted. For sure plan on spending several more hundred on a proper and safe flue system in addition to the stove and hearth costs. You might consider a tank top propane heater instead.

I am praying that he just selected the wrong photo from a folder., OP....don't use an outdoor fireplace for heat indoors. Disregard that photo

Hahahaha.... I went and got the one Jacob posted. I was just starting to feel pretty good but then my wife busted in!
I'm really getting a bit frustrated trying to find a good, used wood stove all while trying to keep it on the cheap. I know, I know, it's crazy to expect that especially when it comes to safety, but I'm on a tight budget right now. And I don't want to compromise safety over money. I'm starting to lean towards propane. Seems less complicated, more safe, and cheaper then a decent used wood stove. Only thing is it'll be more $ in the long run with filling a 250lb+ tank every year and that's only running it during the coldest (2) months.
My last ditch effort on a wood stove are probably the last ones below. Thoughts?........

Blaze King Princess Style wood stove in very good condition. Includes the blower and pipe to go to the chimney. $300 OBO

00w0w_h6L9Gp3RSls_600x450_zps18f1cc61.jpg

Next........

Free standing wood stove used 3 years in very good condition ,paid over 500.00 new selling because don't use it any more .Its been stored inside for the last couple years!Asking 250.00 OBO (Does this look rough around the top?)

00x0x_1VberiD5NRM_600x450_zpse6adffc7.jpg

If you have a lot of clearance room around the stove the older BK looks decent. Not sure what model it is, cat or not?

If you have a lot of clearance room around the stove the older BK looks decent. Not sure what model it is, cat or not?

I really want to thank you for responding and for the help. A little disappointing not more input from other members but maybe they're tired of answering similar questions or perhaps I'm going about all of this the wrong way? I'm new to wood stoves so all I can do is ask questions and try to research things as best I can. This may just be a "pick whats in my budget" type thing and "hope for the best" and "learn as I go and try not to burn anything down", Ha ha.
At any rate, Cat or not? We do have a cat be she hardly ever goes in the garage. Same for the 2 dogs.

catalytic convertor. See if you can get a model and number from the plate on the back of the stove.

I'd guessing from the $500 retail that the second stove may be a small one. Always try to find make and model number out from seller if you can. If they have no clue, ask them if they have a cat!. Just kidding, if they have no clue, tell them there should be a plate on the back. If that steel stove is large (not thinking so) large like more than 2.5cf and the insides aren't shot, may be a bargain.

BG, I cant tell from the photo, is that princess an 8" flue?

Looks like 8".

Status
Not open for further replies.