Help me decide what pellet to buy: 2 choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightyear

Dec 24, 2010
Maryland
Harman XXV Pellet stove: gone through my first batch of pellets in a month (1 ton).

HOme depot 30 minutes away: Stove CHow for $187 a ton
or
Power Pellets for $229 a ton. I can't find ANYTHING about power pellets on here or anyhwere else regarding their info. It is a hardwood pellet and I have been pleased with them. But, saving $40 bucks a ton is nice. I want to get 1-2 more tons.

SHould I get one ton of each, or 2 of stove chow...most people seem happy with the stove chow.

best advice..........buy a couple bags of each and test before buying the whole ton.

Since you've been using the "power pellets"
and know how they burn in your stove I'd
clean the stove then pick up a few bags of
the stove chow and see how they work for ya.
If ya like em then for the price I'd get two ton
but that's just me. Enjoy the heat!

Stove Chow works for me too! But I would still take a few bags for a test drive. You gotta kick the tires!

j-takeman said:
Stove Chow works for me too! But I would still take a few bags for a test drive. You gotta kick the tires!

I agree w/ Jay and others above.

Even though it involves some driving just to get the "test" pellets, in the long run it's the wise thing to do.....you don't want to get "stuck" with even 1 ton of pellets that burn poorly in your stove.

I drove 1 hour to get some test pellets of the Stove chow. When I got there they only had 1ton of them so I bought them. Been burning them since Friday and I like them. 187 on can't beat it. :)

lightyear said:
Harman XXV Pellet stove: gone through my first batch of pellets in a month (1 ton).

or
Power Pellets for $229 a ton. I can't find ANYTHING about power pellets on here or anyhwere else regarding their info. It is a hardwood pellet and I have been pleased with them. But, saving $40 bucks a ton is nice. I want to get 1-2 more tons.

SHould I get one ton of each, or 2 of stove chow...most people seem happy with the stove chow.

I too was using Power Pellets, mainly because they threw them in when I bought my insert. Was told they are manufactured by O'Malley, but had a different name so that they could use different distributors. If you go to www.thepowerpellet.com and www.omalleywoodpellets.com, you'll notice that the phone numbers are the same.

Haven't tried Stove Chow yet, but seems to get high marks on here. I have tried Power Pellets, O'Malleys, Lignetics, and just got a ton of Hamers Hot Ones. Interesting thing, never had a problem with my high limit switch until I used the Hamers. Guess they really are Hot Ones. By the way, dealer will be installing new auger cover next week on my M55 cast insert to alleviate the high temperature issue.

roadrunnermoore said:
lightyear said:

or

I too was using Power Pellets, mainly because they threw them in when I bought my insert. Was told they are manufactured by O'Malley, but had a different name so that they could use different distributors. Haven't tried Stove Chow yet, but seems to get high marks on here. I have tried Power Pellets, O'Malleys, Lignetics, and just got a ton of Hamers Hot Ones. Interesting thing, never had a problem with my high limit switch until I used the Hamers. Guess they really are Hot Ones. By the way, dealer will be installing new auger cover next week on my M55 cast insert to alleviate the high temperature issue.

You need to try some Cubex. They'll make that high temperature limit snap disc land in the next state over.

thanks all. I did go up and bought 20 bags. I put them in this a.m. and the stove will probably get to them later tonight-tomorrow I am happy with the power pellets, but if I can save $40 a ton, that would be great. I could buy 4 tons of stove chow for the price of 3 tons of power pellets. :) that would make me happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.