Help Me Pick a Flue Brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Icemanxxxv

Oct 20, 2014
Smithville MO USA
I'm nearing the end of my first abbreviated season on my Harmon 52i. Nearing one ton burned and getting ready to put it to bed for the spring and summer I need a good flue brush to get it nice and clean. After searching AMAZON and finding reviews less than stellar for the ones available there I am wondering what you seasoned pellet heads are using to clean your stoves and or inserts with.

I'm nearing the end of my first abbreviated season on my Harmon 52i. Nearing one ton burned and getting ready to put it to bed for the spring and summer I need a good flue brush to get it nice and clean. After searching AMAZON and finding reviews less than stellar for the ones available there I am wondering what you seasoned pellet heads are using to clean your stoves and or inserts with.

I'd suggest you visit a few stove stores in your area and see what they have. Nothing beats actually seeing, hefting and feeling what you're considering buying. Also it supports the local economy.

The nearest reputable stove dealer who I bought my stove from is nearly 60 miles away. What they had didn't look like someting that interested me. I was just wondering if anyone can share their experience with me.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

For my Harman I just really use the brush for the vertical vent. I run a rod through the stove and to the clean out T with a rag tied to and taped onto the end so as not to wreck the ESP probe. It's just ash/ dust in there anyway. I just use a Rutland kit and spin it with a cordless drill adding on rods till I get to the top of the 26ft vertical vent. I have a piece of red rag tied to the top so I can look with binoculars to see red through the screen and make sure it's not clogged up. I'm not endorsing Rutland in particular and I'm sure other people have better products in mind etc. It's what I have and use is all.

I noticed recently that these kits have gotten more expensive since I bought mine going on 5 years ago ( so what else is new right ?).

I use Sooteater on my pellet stove and fireplace. Pipe lengths are 35' and 25' respectively. No issues.

I do not have a long pellet vent to deal with but I also have a Rutland that I bought at Tractor Supply locally. The pellet vent is very easy to run it thru and all that gets cleaned or loosened up is a bit of ash that cakes onto the vent pipe walls.

If I had a long vertical length it would work fine too but I'd need extensions. I am not familiar with the Soot Eater products nor any other really. Try using the search bar here and plug in exhaust cleaning and see what pops up. Or best pellet vent cleaning brushes. etc;

The Sooteater is for 3" or 4" round flue. Made to be spun on a drill. If you need to clean other passages get a small brush with wire handle.

How about a rag taped to a broom handle? I only have 5 feet of rise outside, this is all I should need. I am seriously considering relocating the stove to the basement this summer so the pipe will be getting taken apart anyhow.

These people had a basement level install, they used 3" pipe with a 90 off the stove. Went up 7 ft or so, 90 into a through wall pipe, another 90 up, about a 10 ft straight pipe and a 90 to a termination cover of some home made design. The place filled with smoke and they blamed the stove that it was an old model stove. So when you do your basement install at least employ some common sense. These folks obviously had no clue what they were doing.

Gardus has a kit that works excellent. The rods are white plastic and sturdy enough to push up 35ft+ but also flex more than enough to negotiate a reasonable bend. It is also sold on Amazon for 30 bucks, with 9ft of the rods.