Help me pick a Stihl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vintage 181 said:
Wonder if Dolmar is buying market share?

Don't know WTF happened above.

Seems Dolmar and Husky try to do that.

The Dolmars are really nice and I cant beat the price and power. The 5100's I have are run hard with no problems . I have many different brands and just love it when someone posts list prices of only one brand. BTW I pay 349.00 with 18" .325 chain. That is out the door. My 346 was 409.00 and I would not buy one again.

bobo said:
Vintage 181 said:

The Dolmars are really nice and I cant beat the price and power. The 5100's I have are run hard with no problems . I have many different brands and just love it when someone posts list prices of only one brand. BTW I pay 349.00 with 18" .325 chain. That is out the door. My 346 was 409.00 and I would not buy one again.

why?

Roospike said:
bobo said:
Vintage 181 said:

why?

I can buy the 5100's cheaper and they run stronger.

ROO I was not impressed with the 346 so its gone. Yogi called me Sat. nite about buying my 372 it might be gone too.

bobo said:
Roospike said:
bobo said:
Vintage 181 said:

why?

ROO I was not impressed with the 346 so its gone. Yogi called me Sat. nite about buying my 372 it might be gone too.
What are you replacing the 372 with?

earthharvester said:
bobo said:
Roospike said:
bobo said:
Vintage 181 said:

why?

What are you replacing the 372 with?

I might try a couple 7900's my dealer just gave me a nice price . I just had the springs replaced on the 372 .

bobo said:
Roospike said:
bobo said:
Vintage 181 said:

why?

So you paid $409. for the Husqvarna 346xp , sold it at $200.? almost new on here are now your saying you get a good deal/price on the 5100 ? Sounds like you lost $209. + tax. %-P

The Husqvarna 346xp is 45cc and the Dolmer 5100s is 50.7 cc so i would agree with you that the 5100s should run stronger.

bobo said:
Roospike said:
bobo said:
Roospike said:
bobo said:
Roospike" date="1165197469 said:
List for a MS361 is $599.95 w/ 16" bar and $609.95 w / 18" bar.
My local Stihl here is $589.00 w/ 16" bar

I know its not Halloween but here is a scary attachment.

Roo where did you find this price sheet.

IMO I would by the 5100 over the 346 anyday .
Off the internet .
I own a 359 and a 372XP so IMO the 5100 would of been too close plus around here Dolmer is know as a serial killer and not a chainsaw. Nobodys heard of Dolmer here in the mid west and no dealers for that matter.

I hear the 5100S is a sweet chainsaw but just dont have a long history.

OK Now post the Husky List prices. NOT SALE PRICES . LIST PRICES. Then we can see the difference. If your going to post Stihl list prices then post Husky list prices, then you might see scary.

Stihl does not offer net sales and the dealers go off of retail and just a hair discount . Our local Stihl dealers at selling at 98% list/retail.
Husqvarna is not the same and there are always big deals and sales on them so that wouldnt even be a close comparison. The husqvarna 359 is retail over $500. and i bought mine new for $365. .........You are not going to do that with Stihl. Local the ms361 is $589. and selling for $589. and dont even think to ask for a discount round here.

I just want to see Huskys over inflated list prices. They make Stihl's prices look great. BTW if your paying 98% your getting screwed. We get our pro saws for 10 % over cost. We have 4 -5100's and just ordered 2 more they just blow away the comp.

Well take 1 for 1 saw for example
Stihl ms440 72cc $729.95 retail / my local price $719.95 / no internet sales $---.--
Husky 372XP 72cc $689.00 retail / my local price $609.00 / internet price i paid $572.00

This is why Husqvarnas retail price list is non comparable to Stihls retail price list.

Roospike said:
bobo said:
Roospike said:
bobo said:
Vintage 181 said:

why?

So you paid $409. for the Husqvarna 346xp , sold it at $200.? almost new on here are now your saying you get a good deal/price on the 5100 ? Sounds like you lost $209. + tax. %-P

The Husqvarna 346xp is 45cc and the Dolmer 5100s is 50.7 cc so i would agree with you that the 5100s should run stronger.

The 346 was a bad buy on my part. Yogi sad he was happy with it so looks like hes buying my 372 . 200.00 loss on a saw you just dont like. Some times you need to walk away. Yogi was looking for a saw ,so who better to sell a next to new saw too. Yogi likes it and it is better then his wild thing, so were both happy. when he buys the 372 it wont be a deal like that, I will tell you that much.

I got the Stihle becuase they protect their dealers. Not many companies can do that any more and stay in business. I think that says something about the product.

Fatigue is something to seriously consider for the occasional (i.e. 4-5 cord a year) wood cutter, not only for comfort but for the potential accidents it can cause. The 250 is a nice light saw, plenty of power for homeowner/firewood use and very reasonably priced. The tool-less chain tensioner is a nice feature worth the few extra dollars in my opinion. I've cut dozens of cords with mine and it easily handles anything I throw at it. Keep the chain sharp, flip the bar after every sharpening, clean it and run the fuel dry before storing and you will get many years of reliable service. Spend the money you saved from not getting the bigger saw on saftey gear :^)

I vote for the 260 or lesser model. you just aren't talking about doing enough cutting that you need to go hog wild.

I received my new Chain Saw for Christmas, and wanted to update everone and to thank you all for your help and suggestions.

I got the MS361 with an 18 inch bar.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!!

citizanken said:
I received my new Chain Saw for Christmas, and wanted to update everone and to thank you all for your help and suggestions.

I got the MS361 with an 18 inch bar.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!!

Awesome , Some Stihl RS chain on that bad boy and she will rip for sure.

Be carefull / be safe and most of all Congrads on the chainsaw , well worth the wait for a mid range / great power chainsaw , you'll get many years of good use out of the saw and a mile high pile of firewood.

If your unsure and/or dont have a tach make sure to take your new chainsaw back to the dealerto have the carb adjusted after 10 tanks of gas ( break in peroid = around 10 tanks )
Let the dealer know what fuel/oil ratio you are running for the carb adjustment.(ie; 40:1 , 50:1 )

MS361 ----- Merry Christmas 2 u !

Im sure you will be as happy with it as I am with mine. Its a great saw. Now be safe with it!

Nice saw, that will last a long time if you take care of it. Go cat some wood and don't forget you'r PPE. Be safe

John

Status
Not open for further replies.