Help me pick my next wood stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Four Paws

Oct 24, 2006
Inkom, Idaho
I currently run a Jotul F600 to heat the main floor of my home - Chalet style with an open floor plan and vaulted ceilings. It is more than adequate to maintain 74*F, even when temps dip to zero outdoors as the house in insulated rather well. Very pleased with this set-up.

I want to install a new stove in my walkout basement. It stays about 55*F without any heat. The basement has electric ceiling heat in each room with independent control(2 guest bedrooms, bathroom, greatroom, laundry). The space has 8 foot ceilings and might be 1000 sq.ft. Currently there is an older catalytic Blazeking King model installed and it will run you right out of there. The seams in the firebox are beginning to come apart, so it is time to upgrade.

The hearth is unique and doesn't permit much room to safely side-load a stove, so I need a top or front loader (that will not make a mess when loading from the front like my F600 would if I chose to do so). I prefer a cast stove, but am considering a soapstone stove. I like the gothic look that the cast iron stoves have. MUST have a glass window for fire viewing. Very impressed with my Jotul so far, but am open to trying a different brand. I cut and split 22" pieces right now - I don't want to go smaller than 20" as they get harder to stack.

Suggest away, and post pictures of your hearth and stove if you like. Thanks for the input!

Jotul F400 Castine. Enameled.

You're welcome.

Quadrafire Yosemite is good comparable stove to the F400 as well and both are cast style.

How warm do you want to get the 1000 square feet and how long of burn times are you looking for?

The 20 inch log length might make the Cumberland Gap a better fit in the Quadrafire cast series stoves.

Quad Cumberland

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Wood_Burning/Wood_Model.asp?f=CUMBERLNDGAP

Jotal F400

http://www.jotul.us/en/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-stoves/Jotul-F-400-Castine/

I don't own either but a friend back in Portland OR owns a Cumberland and has been tickled to death with it for 3+ years now.

The PE T4 takes 18" wood and is rated for 1500 sq ft, to get to the 20" length in the T series you would have to go to the T6 witch is rated for 3,000 sq ft.
http://www.pacificenergy.net/PDF/06ALT4 0907.pdf
Pacific Energy builds a quality stove.

TheFlame said:
Jotul F400 Castine. Enameled.

You're welcome.

20" wood doesn't bode well in my Castine. I cut at 18" and would be much easier loading at 16", which I will do at the next harvest. If you don't mind cutting that length, my Castine serves me very well currently. I do like those Hearthstones, and the PE T4 would be on my list, too.

Sounds like your pretty happy with your Jotul, so go buy another. If you decide soapstone you can't beat Woodstock.

Thanks for the feedback guys. To answer some questions...

I would like to keep the space around 72-74* with excess capacity for the uncommonly cold days.

I really want to stay at 20" pieces at a minimum - and want to get at least a 8 hour burn out of the stove when loaded with big splits.

I love my Jotul - I think its looks are second to none. The Castine is a nice looking stove and I am familiar and pleased with Jotul products. I like the Jotul Black Bear, but have ruled it out as there is no ash pan. Although the firebox will accomodate 24" splits, the reviews on this site say only one 24" split can be loaded...smaller pieces are necessary as you stack due to the firebox roof angling down in the back.

Soapstone appeals to me because of the 'softer' heat they claim in the advertisements.

I like the look of the large Woodstock stove, however it is a side-loader...can it be loaded from the top or front?

I like the the fun slide out cooktop feature on the PE, but what about the steel firebox? My Blazeking has a steel firebox and it is coming apart at the seams. Can any of you PE owners comment further on this? The lifetime warranty is a nice, but I have found with chainsaws (my hobby) that some of the lesser known and generally lower quality manufacturers come to market with a fantastic warranty to gain marketshare - not because they have the best or most reliable product.

Also enjoy the dominating look of the Hearthstone Mansfield - anyone burning one? How is it holding up? Can it be front loaded easily? Might be too much stove unless it can be regulated well.

Anyone like Lopi?

I'm burning a Lopi Endeavor, but it's only been installed since November, so I can't speak for long term use. However, I am very happy with the stove thus far. From what I've seen/read, Travis makes a quality product.

You're a tough one.

1. Front load only
2. Long log length
3. Massive heat output
4. Tough construction

I think the only stove that will meet all your requirements is a Fisher Papa Bear. It's a smoke machine, but it sure won't come apart at the seams, allows massive logs, and will cook you out of there quite nicely.

In all honestly, I would recommend dropping your log length requirement, it's going to limit your choices severely. Consider it carefully.

Weather you go for a T6 or not be assured Pacific Energy is no newcomer to the business. They will stand by their warranty and some have posted about 18 year old stoves being honored under new warranty. There are many all steel fire boxes that we have all used for decades before switching to the new EPA stoves so do not worry about it in fact the steel fire box is one of the reasons I bought a T6 as I did not want to have to rebuild a all cast stove after 10 years.

The big box PE stoves are great. I love mine, but a 20 inch log is pushing it. they will fit but north south, they will be almost up to the glass. 18" logs fit well. That's what I cut to.

CZARCAR said:
55-72*f aint much! get a cat stove for long slow efficient burns

Yeah, that's one of the problems with the log length requirement. For 1000 square feet, he only needs a small to mid sized stove, but none of them take big logs unless they are side loaders, which he doesn't want. Even the stoves that claim to take a 20 or 22" log don't take it all that well, and you sure can't pack a bunch of them in there. Going with a bigger log length inherently means a bigger stove, which will be too much for that area, IMO.

I stand by the Castine recommendation.

if you like the blaze king then get it fixed it would be a lot cheaper than a new stove... better yet get another blaze king
but
I AM A PROUD PE OWNER SO THATS WHAT I WOULD REALLY RECOMMEND

if you like the blaze king then get it fixed it would be a lot cheaper than a new stove... better yet get another blaze king
but

iceman said:

You're excused. I understand not everybody can own a Jotul. ;-P

TheFlame said:
iceman said:

You're excused. I understand not everybody can own a Jotul. ;-P

i know i know those guys with the singing stoves (jotulllllllooo) went to the dark side ..... but even darth vader eventually saw the light in the pe and was allowed to come home!!!!!

Personally, I don't see the desire to stay with 20" wood. It takes very few more cuts to get 16" lengths, lighter to carry, easier to split, and gives you more options when loading (such as sideways).

Could you expound on *why*, any benefit(s) I cannot fathom to 20" wood? As stated above, 20" chunks limit your choices for a stove, 16-18 inches open up several good units.

A T6 is an enormous stove for your application...its deeper than it is wide. Great unit, but its like bringing a St. Bernard to the poodle show.

If PE, my first choice would probably be the PE T5 for the basement space. However, the Jotul Castine is a fine stove and a very good looker. It has a bit less capacity so the burn times will be a bit shorter, but it will handle 20" splits. You might also look at the Hearthstone Shelburne. At 2 cu ft, it has the capacity of the PE T5, with a classic look and very solid build.

FWIW, the T6 can be throttled back quite a bit and still behave. We're heating 2000 sq ft with it in a milder climate. It does pretty well with a 3 split load in spring and fall. Today jumped up to 46 degrees (from 34 and snow last night) and it's cruising on 3 log loads right now.

20" splits isn't a total sticking point - perhaps I will reconsider...

I don't require ONLY a front or top loader - I just need to load it from the front and don't want to be dealing with a constant mess or worry about pieces rolling out. The Blazeking loads real nice from the front - my Jotul is clearly meant to be loaded from the side as if I tried to open the front to load, it spills ash.

The look of the Woodstock Fireview is really starting to grow on me. And, the catalytic feature sounds like something that would fit my needs well. To bad it cannot be loaded from the top (answered my previous question).

You guys running the PE stoves, what are your re-load times like? I burn mostly Douglas Fir - nightime temps are commonly 5*F to 15*F. I can get 8 hours out of my F600 with plenty of coals to relight several smaller splits in the morning and have the stove back up to 400+ surface temperature in about 30 minutes.

Many good points and helpful discussion - thank you! Please continue.

Four Paws said:
20" splits isn't a total sticking point - perhaps I will reconsider...

I don't require ONLY a front or top loader - I just need to load it from the front and don't want to be dealing with a constant mess or worry about pieces rolling out. The Blazeking loads real nice from the front - my Jotul is clearly meant to be loaded from the side as if I tried to open the front to load, it spills ash.

The look of the Woodstock Fireview is really starting to grow on me. Can it be loaded from the top or front? And, the catalytic feature sounds like something that would fit my needs well.

You guys running the PE stoves, what are your re-load times like? I burn mostly Douglas Fir - nightime temps are commonly 5*F to 15*F. I can get 8 hours out of my F600 with plenty of coals to relight several smaller splits in the morning and have the stove back up to 400+ surface temperature in about 30 minutes.

Many good points and helpful discussion - thank you! Please continue.

With the wood your burning not sure, but I'd say your going to get approx the same overnight burns as you do with the F600. PE T6's are made for front to back loading, so no worries of anything rolling out. And you can stack it to the gills.

Status
Not open for further replies.