Help me pick my next wood stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Four Paws said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. To answer some questions...

I would like to keep the space around 72-74* with excess capacity for the uncommonly cold days.

I really want to stay at 20" pieces at a minimum - and want to get at least a 8 hour burn out of the stove when loaded with big splits.

I love my Jotul - I think its looks are second to none. The Castine is a nice looking stove and I am familiar and pleased with Jotul products. I like the Jotul Black Bear, but have ruled it out as there is no ash pan. Although the firebox will accomodate 24" splits, the reviews on this site say only one 24" split can be loaded...smaller pieces are necessary as you stack due to the firebox roof angling down in the back.

Soapstone appeals to me because of the 'softer' heat they claim in the advertisements.

I like the look of the large Woodstock stove, however it is a side-loader...can it be loaded from the top or front?

I like the the fun slide out cooktop feature on the PE, but what about the steel firebox? My Blazeking has a steel firebox and it is coming apart at the seams. Can any of you PE owners comment further on this? The lifetime warranty is a nice, but I have found with chainsaws (my hobby) that some of the lesser known and generally lower quality manufacturers come to market with a fantastic warranty to gain marketshare - not because they have the best or most reliable product.

Also enjoy the dominating look of the Hearthstone Mansfield - anyone burning one? How is it holding up? Can it be front loaded easily? Might be too much stove unless it can be regulated well.

Anyone like Lopi?

1) The lifetime warranty is unconditional

2) PE isn't some Johnny-come-lately-fly-by-night outfit

Status
Not open for further replies.