Help me understand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TWilk117

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2018
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Hi all.

It’s been a while since I posted here. I hope all is well and everyone is warm.

The ESW manual for the 28-4000 says: “When selecting the required floor protection it is important that you install a U.L. Approved board.”
I’m not so sure I am understanding this completely. It doesn’t say anything of R value or thickness or anything else at all, however, at the bottom of the paragraph it says: (Canada: place on a non-combustible Type 1 ULC spark and ember floor protector...

Isn’t that basically anything non-combustible?

I would appreciate any insight into this.

Thanks

Yes, that is ember protection. If this is on a concrete floor, nothing needed.

the reason I posted this in the stove and fire place section is because the 28-4000 is essentially a NC30 within a cabinet, bigger ash pan and better blower.

Also more people frequent fireplaces and stoves.

The question is what is a "UL approved board" as required by the instructions. The instructions do not say "ember protection only" and if the OP wants to maintain his insurance he needs to meet the manual's requirements. The NC30 has a large R requirement for the hearth, as I recall it is 1.5.