HELP! My PDV25 Englander Pellet Stove has my house pushing 90° on 35° days!

Jmshuhart Posted By Jmshuhart, Mar 5, 2019 at 8:14 PM

1. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    House is small. Living room where the stove is is approx 168 square feet. Older house, so not big & open either.

2. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I dont normally heat on 1 & 3. Thats usually for warmer days... 40 degree weather. But this morning ot was 3 degrees outside, and with 1 & 3 my living room was still 70 degrees. Single digit weather, im usually burning like 5 & 7. 4&6 if im low on pellets.

3. Pellet rick

Pellet rick
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Pottstown PA.
    That’s an easy one. There is a button switch in the back right corner of the hopper where the lid closes against. It’s a Saftey switch. With the lid open just push and hold the button down and watch the auger. It will move intermittently so it’s kinda hard to count rotations

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Pellet rick

Pellet rick
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Pottstown PA.
    Did you get a chance to check what mode your in

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Stove is getting cleaned out now! Will be checking shortly.

6. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    So im pressing the up & down on the blower speeds, doing so within 4 seconds, holding for 10, and nothing happens :(

7. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Following the stepa to check the.mode & it's not working :(

8. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I waited longer to press the buttons & it worked, I'm running in D. Crap.

I couldn't find any sort of plate or anything in the hopper, nothing that appeared to be adjustable.

Next is to get the stove running, press that button on the hopper lid & see what the deal is with the auger moving.

9. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Okay... Mode D. Set at Heat 1 & Blower 3. Bottom 3 buttoms 3-4-1. My TOP auger is moving every 15 seconds. Thoughts?

10. Pellet rick

Pellet rick
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Pottstown PA.
    my only thought would be is that the pellets you are using are very small and feeding to many at one time. Do they seem smaller than the one you used to use? Can you try a couple of bags of another brand? You say it moves every 15 seconds . But how far during that time period ? Shouldn't be more than 1/4 turn at my calculations to be a 1 rpm

11. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Well, possible turn of events! I woke up this morning around 4am & the house was COLD. We had single digit temps last night & the past few weeks, my typical 1 & 3 kept the house above 70 in those instsnces, but it was 64. I turned the stove up to 3 & 5 & checked the hopper. Hardly any pellets gone, like a normal 1 & 3 would look. Boyfriend filled the hopper up around 630 before I could look. I asked of it had more than normal. He said yes, bc i filled it at 4am. I said no, i didnt add anything to it, and i turned it up. He said we definitely had more pellets than normal then, especially turned up. Temp was about 72 with 3 & 5.

Temps above freezing today, i didnt want to leave it at that with no one but the pets home just in case it runs high again, so I turned it back down to 1 & 3 & the furnace will kick on at 65 if need be... Gonna wait & see whem boyfriend gets home how much is in the hopper.

Maybe just getting into the computer & checking out the mode did something? It was definitely on D, but maybe playing the settings readjusted something, not sure. Fingers crossed.

Ive got 6 bags of lignetics as well Gonna run those Saturday & Sunday while home & see if there's any different there too.

Fingers crossed! Phew! ‍♀️

12. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Well, I'm still going thru 2 bags a day at 1 & 3 & used a different brand this wknd. This isn't normal & quite frustrating *siiiigh*

Any other suggestions to look at? I slept with the windows open upstairs last night, way too hot in here.

13. Pellet rick

Pellet rick
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Pottstown PA.
    Ok lets step back for a minute. What are all your settings at right now. Mode , Bottom three , and heat

14. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Mode - D
    Bottom - 3-4-1
    Heat - 1 & 3

15. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    And stove is PDVC model (not PDV like my title). Purchased Fall 2011. No adjustable plate in the hopper.

16. Pellet rick

Pellet rick
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Pottstown PA.
    Yea something is up. With those setting my PDV which runs in C mode will run all weekend on a hopper full. Did you ever confirm that the top auger motor was the right rpm? An easy way to find out if you are having trouble checking and you are still running the original bottom motor is to swap the top for the bottom. The bottom run constant so if it is to fast it will definitely run out of pellets with the right rpm on top. might be worth a try. Another possibility is a bad control board.

17. miteclipse

miteclipse
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 8, 2013
    Loc:
    Hughesville, MD
    Found this:

Try reducing LFF to 1 instead of 3 (1-4-1)?

18. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I got a note back from Englander to try reducing the LFF to 1 or 2. I just dropped it to 2 now, we will see. However, I feel like this doesn't solve my issue. Like why did this just happen overnight at some point, ya know?

19. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Thats why I didn’t suggest that. But if it does not solve the issue of using a lot of pellets i would lean towards a bad control board

20. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Sigh. Is that as easy to replace as all the others parts have been? I feel like I should address that now vs the beginning of next season.

21. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    You could try and nurse it through the rest of the burn season if you get the consumption down to a tolerable level. Do a permanent fix when its a bit warmer

22. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Yeah. The good news is Spring is just around the corner. Thank you everyone for your help so far. Still gotta peek at the auger & switch em, see if that helps.

In 20 mins, dropping the LFF down to 2 has dropped the living room temp 1 degree. Let's see how the night goes.

23. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    PM sent

24. Jmshuhart

Jmshuhart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2019
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    So here's where I stand tonight... stove was turned off today bc my father was at the house working on some plumbing for me (gotta love dads!) & it was too hot. At 430 when my boyfriend got home, the house was down to 61°. He started the stove around 530pm. It was maybe 35° outside then. Now, 845pm, the living room is a comfortable 70° (currently 26 outside). This morning at 630am, it was right around 70° in the living room as well. I dropped the LFF down to 2 last night. I'm assuming we are using less pellets, but hard to say with the stove being off all day.

So... I'm happy with the temps I have right now. But still don't consider this solved because well... I feel like I just used a band aid to get what I wanted instead of figuring out the underlining problem, if that makes sense.

Swapping of the augers project will have to wait till this wknd.

25. Pellet rick

Pellet rick
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Pottstown PA.
    Ssyko just a thought here because it was never mentioned, but do you think maybe a control board reset might help?