Help needed : bad smell issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikeflannigan

Mar 1, 2022
UK
Hi everyone and thank you for welcoming me in this forum,

I have an issue with my closed hearth fireplace. It has an insulated formwork and can distribute some heat in other rooms.
It was settled by a professionnal and checked by two other professionnals : they all said it was done more than perfectly.
This is why I struggle to understand why it sometimes smells really bad. Not a smoke or wood smell, more chemical / acid smell. I would not say it is like cat urine (I saw some threads about it with rockwool) but definitely something close to bad paint or so...

At first someone told me it was normal to have a smell because it was new, I made a big fire for hours on days and days but it didn't work.
Now, if the insert is cold and I want to start a regular fire it starts to smell so bad some chemical smell that I have to open all the windows for hours.
Then, if I don't push it too much and keep going with fire for hours or days, the smell disappears and everything seems normal.

I've read all the possible articles and discussions threads on the subject, tested the monoxide (in case it was a discreet smoke leak), the painting of the ventilation grilles, checked that there is no label stuck to the casing etc...nothing works.

But I'm very concerned because it is definitely not something normal to open every windows for hours each time you need to start a fire, and I don't know what kind of chemical could produce that smell and what it can do to our bodies. (+ of course when it's winter, you don't want to open you windows and loosing house heat).

I'm looking for a solution for months now and could not find anything‧ I don't know what to do anymore, could it be my tape or even rockflam itself? I checked it is supposed to be adapted to the temperatures without problem, but do not understand anything anymore and I despair.

Thank you in advance for your help !

can it be dust on metal that gets hot?

I thought about it and I cleaned it perfectly, doesn't seem to change the issue. Also you can tell this is bad for health because when it's smelling a lot (1st fire of the season) I have a funny feeling, headache, feeling dizzy sometimes...definitely not healthy. Thanks for your answer

When you detect this smell, can you smell it inside the stove? If we can narrow it down to the outside or inside of the stove, it might be a quicker diagnosis.

I've encountered that smell when installing new furnaces and duct work, there is a protective coating sprayed on them to protect them from moisture when stored in warehouses

Both my free standing and insert do this as well. If in winter I dont start either for a week or so (midnight shift) and then will have a hot fire I get a bad smell ALWAYS. If I burn for 2 weeks straight (daylight and afternoon shifts) I only get it the first day or so.

People who burn 24/7 through winter dont experience this so I attribute to everyday dust settling on surfaces.

Reactions: Osage