Help needed taking apart chain link fence this weekend: UPDATED WITH PICS OF HOW I ROLL(ED)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
Hey guys and gals, I’ve got a big red oak next door that I need to get out of my neighbors yard this weekend. He’s a self titled “liability freak”, so he doesn’t want me over there swinging my maul busting up all the pieces to throw over the fence, so I’ve gotta take apart my chain link fence to try to roll most of the rounds thru. Good thing is most of the rounds can be rolled (although they will be very heavy), and he has agreed to let me bust up the ones that can’t into manageable pieces. I need to take apart the fence at a corner, and with my luck it’s not the style that just bolts on, it’s got these spring clamp type connectors (although they aren’t like a spring clamp where I can squeeze them and they’ll open up). Anybody have expertise or good ideas? The only thing I can think of is trying to take some pressure of that bar and slide it up out of there, but that seems easier said than done.

Attachments

• 100_7023.JPG
    100_7023.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 411
  • 100_7024.JPG
    100_7024.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 395
Is the plan to put the fence back together when done?

I suspect that they used those wires as substitutes for the clamps that go around the upright pipe and bolt on - what I would probably do is get some of the bolt on clamps and just cut the wire ones. The big challenge is likely to be stretching the chain link back out to fit... I've seen fence stretchers for this, but I'm not sure just where to buy / rent them.

Gooserider

Buy you some extra bars while you are at the store getting the clamps, and get some clamps for the end caps on the horizontal pipes. You can thread the bars down through the fence and use these to pull off of when stretching,, (looks like that top diamonds been stretched pretty good) The key for me has been to place the bar as close to the end of the fence when stretching,,,however this makes it tough to find a tool that will work in that short span. I`ve backed up a truck, removed the tail gate,,cut a board to fit between the bed sides and used a 1 ton cable come-along attached about a foot or so from the end of the fence to the extra bar I bought (if you can use some porch swing type chain and hook up three or so attachment points to the bar,,all the better. From there, after getting some stretch it still required an extra set of hands, a couple 1" ratchet clamps,and a couple reach around vise grip c-clamps(welders clamps),,,The right tool for the job is much easier if available. Good luck

Thanks guys, after realizing what a PITA it's going to be (I don't own the tools needed, and nothing's ever as easy as it seems ), I just decided to borrow the truck from work with a liftgate and I'll just roll or cart the rounds out onto the truck.

how about calling a fence company in your area? if they wont or dont rent the tools needed, you may be able to hire them to do the job.

mike

If you don't want to mess with the corners, go to the center of a section, straighten out the top and bottom loops of a single verticle wire. Then kind of unscrew this wire up and out of the weave. Then all you have to do is slide the fence left and right out of your way. Like opening a curtin. when your done slid the two ends back to the center use a couple of short ropes to pull them tight and screw the missing link back down through the weave and bend the loops back to the original shape.

Wouldn't it be easier to draft up some sort of waiver that you could sign to relieve him of any liability while you're on his property?

Actually... now that I think about it...

Are there any lawyers on this forum who could draft up a generic liability waiver that forum members could use? Maybe post it on the site somewhere as a .PDF file that could be easily printed?

-SF

SlyFerret said:
Wouldn't it be easier to draft up some sort of waiver that you could sign to relieve him of any liability while you're on his property?

Actually... now that I think about it...

Are there any lawyers on this forum who could draft up a generic liability waiver that forum members could use? Maybe post it on the site somewhere as a .PDF file that could be easily printed?

-SF

"IANAL" but I've been there in terms of being on the board of our state motorcyclist's rights organization a few years back, where we had to worry about liabilities at events we put on... Essentially there is NO way to waive liability - you CAN'T legally give up your rights to sue in advance...

We still made people sign liability waivers, but as our lawyers advised us, they really aren't worth much, as you can STILL sue after signing one, it just makes it a bit harder to win, as your side has this peice of paper to wave around in court. A good lawyer can still argue around them, and even if the waiver holds up the party is still stuck with defense costs.

About the only way to protect yourself against suits is to not have any assets that are enough of a "gold mine" to attract a lawyer's attention...

Gooserider

I borrowed the box truck from work this weekend and rolled those bad boys onto the liftgate, drove around the corner, and rolled them off into my yard. Those muthas were heavy! That stack of split maple in the background doesn’t count, and the pics don’t do it justice, but it’s a good score for my little old operation, and will keep me swinging the maul the rest of Spring trying to get it put up!

Attachments

• limbs.JPG
    limbs.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 306
  • oak rounds on lift gate.JPG
    oak rounds on lift gate.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 300
  • oak rounds.JPG
    oak rounds.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 299
Status
Not open for further replies.