Help on new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atc rider

Jan 3, 2009
Michigan
I currently have a 1977 VC vigilant wood stove, and am looking to get something newer. The new wood stove must be able to put out the same heat or more, must be top loading, and it needs to come in a enamel finish. I have a 8" chimney. I have been looking at some stoves that say they need a 6" chimney, but would my 8" chimney draft right. Please give me your opinions.

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure how many BTUs you are needing. The new stoves have secondary burn systems which complicate the air flows inside the stove. In other words they need a stronger draft than your 1977 Vigilant. It may be hard to see but the 6 inch pipe produces a draft better suited for the new units than the 8 inch pipe.

As for stove opinions - the two conditions of top loading and enamel finish leaves you with the Lopi Leyden. That is the only stove I know of that fits those requirements but their could be more. I don't know if the BTU output is enough for you or not.

The Leyden is a down draft stove much like the Harmon TL 300 and the VC Everburn stoves. There have been a few reported issues with down draft stoves that you will want to be aware of. I would do a search on this forum about this type of stove so you know more about them. Most of these issues is figuring out how to operate them.

I have the Leyden and it has surpassed all my exptations. I have not had any of the major issues that the other down draft owners have had with the VC and Harmon. I think the Leydens built after September 2007 have just about all issues ironed out. None the less, I hesitate recommending it because there are easier types of stoves to operate. On the other hand, If you have burned wood for a few years then you will catch on to these things with out much effort.

atc rider, welcome to the forum.

You may want to rethink your requirements. For instance, why would you need a top loader rather than a side or front loader? Why enamel? Why not soapstone instead of enamel? Good luck.

Backwoods Savage said:
You may want to rethink your requirements. For instance, why would you need a top loader rather than a side or front loader? Why enamel? Why not soapstone instead of enamel? Good luck.
I need a top loader because my stove is in a corner, and a top loader is easier to load than a front loader. I like the look of the enamel better than paint. Soapstone would be ok.

Buy a new VC Defiant. Big firebox, top loading, enameled, eight inch flue, cat stove for long steady burns.

atc rider said:
I currently have a 1977 VC vigilant wood stove, and am looking to get something newer. The new wood stove must be able to put out the same heat or more, must be top loading, and it needs to come in a enamel finish. I have a 8" chimney. I have been looking at some stoves that say they need a 6" chimney, but would my 8" chimney draft right. Please give me your opinions.

I used a vigilant wood and coal stove for a few years , my sister still has mine it was very nice with the top load . The problem you will have is there aren't many stoves left with a 8" flue . I used a VC Dutch west cat for 15 years i thought it was great . I have a HS equinox that's works pretty good ( I'm having a learning curve) both stoves really kick out the heat compared to the vigilant . Ether stove will burn about the same amount of wood You could use your 8" chimney with a 6 " stove but i would rather have them match John

Status
Not open for further replies.