Help request! Yet another PDV 25 Upper Auger problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looks like the end of a blow dryer......lol

Reactions: Washed-Up
What size outer diameter is your exhaust piping?
This can be had in 3” and 4” depending on brand

View attachment 277096

I used the 4" pipe (due to my rise/run) and my exhaust tip is similar but a square grid. Did also find several items that might fit the bill.

And also some horizontal terminators, etc, but those are pricy.

However, looking at options, thinking I'm going to just put some chicken wire, foil tape and a large hose clamp, since I have all that on hand.

That will work fine. Wrap it around the end and secure it with a large worm clamp.

Ok, cleaned up, new door gasket and waiting for some cold nights next week to fire up and test.

Was really 'rollin coal' the 1st 15 seconds or so and had to hose down the side of the house, lol.

The birds nest was massive and almost filled up a half gallon container. Had to suck out at least 5 times as the exhaust grid kept getting filled up with sticks that must have made their way down the chimney.

Given the amount of nest material pulled out, I suspect that was the culprit behind the error and the next run will be telling.

Have a little galvanized steel flapper on the end of the pipe (from a metal range hood exhaust) that fit perfectly and will hopefully keep any other critters that want to move in out. Part was only $30 and slid right on the end. I just cut the top hood portion off, so it's not forcing the hot air down and mostly maintains the chimney design. Since I didn't seal it on, can just slide it off in the winter, if needed.

Sam

OK, to close the loop on this one... Got cool enough here to fire it up.... and...... Problem solved!

Good feed and a much, much livelier flame. Burn pot seems to be much less ashy as well.

Thank everyone for their help! Saved me a ton of time not chasing things that weren't the problem. I really appreciate it and hope I can pay it forward.