Help select a zero clearance wood fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Withoutink

Sep 16, 2015
North Georgia
We want to replace a ventless glass fireplace with a zero clearance wood burning fireplace.

Our budget is around $3k to $3.8k for the zero clearance unit.

We were looking at these:

• Flame Monaco ($2.7k).
  • Ventis HE250 ($3.2k)
  • HearthStone WFP- 75 Montgomery ($3.6k)
Then after stumbling upon hearth.com, I found the following options (although I don't know pricing yet):
  • Osburn Stratford, which is about the same as the Flame monaco. It seems it may have a few more bells and whistles though, from my research?
  • Pacific Energy FP25 or FP30
  • Valcourt FP10 Lafayette
  • Kozy Heat Z42

What's important to us?

Efficient & safe unit
High heat output
Nice view of fire
Long burning
Able to heat ~2k+ sq feet
Easy start
Reliable

Any suggestions or recommendations would be very helpful.

Cheers-

Matt

I lean a bit toward the second group of options. Also check on RSF fireplaces and Heat n Glo's Northstar.

Reactions: Withoutink
I have an Enerzone which is the same as an Osburn and the Flame Monaco. It does a pretty nice job heating a house, a pretty fire, and can provide plenty of coals for morning starts. The company, SBI, has a good record for me and I believe most others. One thing I would like: a deeper belly. If you end up burning all the time like I do a deep belly is a must for ease of use. I would recommend looking for the depth of the stove (bottom of stove to the bottom of the door).

Thanks for the reply. Any preference in the second group?
The technology is pretty much the same and all are of good quality. Choose the one that has the best feature set and looks for your home.

PS: SBI makes Osburn, Valcourt, Enerzone so don't be surprised that they are the same underneath.

Reactions: BrotherBart
So the wife convinced me on saving the money and going with the Flame Monaco. We just started a bit of the demo and everything should be installed in a couple weeks.

Before

b39566657fb91b1716e3e650dc3d1580.jpg

Started to demo here, we have to relocate the power and cable before the installers come to pop the flue in.

6028a5ad224f26edb75f0e38fb95a9bb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.