Help Selecting A Quality Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
haha I was putting wood in the stove about 4 this morning too! that's when the geriatric dog needs to go out side anyway so he helps me keep the stove full.

While I'm waiting for my mantel and my flooring to arrive, I've been struggling with the subfloor. I have 1.5" strips of 3/4" plywood for furring strips, but securing them to the concrete has been awful. My original plan was to predrill the holes in the concrete with my Hilti hammer drill, load the bottom of the strips with liquid nails, and then secure them with Tapcon screws. Unfortunately, I keep breaking the screws before they actually tighten down the strips. I've tried 3/16" screws. 1/4" screws, Phillips head, hex heads, and multiple lengths. I've tried new Hilti bits, deeper holes, a regular screw gun, and an impact gun for installing the screws. This is a mess. I honestly have $100 in Tapcon screws sitting there right now.

I'm really scratching my head over this one. I've installed thousands of Tapcons over the past 20 years...enough to merit ownership of a Hilti that cost more than my first car, but this floor is kicking my butt. Tomorrow I'll try picking up a Ramset and try again. I always thought that the Tapcons were a more professional approach, but I'm willing to fire these bad boys in with gunpowder if that'll work.

This is a better question for the DIY forum.

Not really looking for help...just statusing my project. I suppose I should stop this thread now that I'm burning wood in the stove.

Sounds like a pain! We always used the gunpowder to install floors over concrete back when i was doing that. I never did many as i was just helping my BIL before my current career! PL glue is my good friend!

Dricore?

I really think we're about done here, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.