Help, starting a fire in a new unused chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Open fireman

Dec 16, 2010
UK
Hi All,

I am about to light a fire in a new house with a stone cold, clay lined chimney. The house was empty for 3 years so I imagine the chimney will be cold soaked for sure. I heard you need to pre heat the chimney before a decent open fire is started??

Any clues on the best way to do this?? I don't want to damage it or start a fire in the house!

It'll be a small open fire on an iron grate.

Cheers fellas!

Andy

I use to hold a newspaper roll up near the dampter to get a draft going, once it was drafting start the fire. If it does not draft, smokes goes into the room, don't start the fire. Burn a small fire first, heat up the flue slowly.

Thanks, plan to light it saturday after the cement has fully dried, had a ottohead fitted and back panel replaced as the wrong ones were fitted when the house was built.

Much appreciated, we have snow coming this weekend so should be nice and warm in here.

Cheers

If I had mortar (cement) drying, I'd be inclined to leave it a little longer to cure fully before subjecting it to the heat of a fire.

And a warm welcome to the forum...... :)

The house and chimney are years old, but the new mortar should be (must be) fully dry. Yes, as stated newspaper goes a long way to do this. I used to roll it and hold it lighted, up in the throat of the flue. In a few seconds a strong draft should be seen. Then light your kindling and fire below. It always worked for me.

Open the flue completely and first, before doing anything! So you do not forget it.

I love a wood burning fireplace!

Welcome Andy!

Status
Not open for further replies.