Help swapping stove in parent's fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jotulf45v2

Sep 22, 2021
CT Shoreline
Hello,
My parents have an old Noble stove in a fireplace with a raised granite slab that sites in front. The stove is all steel and still has asbestos lining the door. It still works, however it developed a crack near the hinge of the door. My dad tapped it and "fixed" it enough to continue using but I'm trying to help them find a replacement.

They don't want anything high maintenance and definitely don't want an insert which relies on a blower. A cat stove is taboo for them, I think an air tubes stove with a baffle may be easier for my dad to adapt to. He has a good supply of wood that he gets from local tree companies and splits and seasons 1-2 years.

Here's the dimensions they provided, I'm hoping to give them a list to look for as they're overwhelmed in their search.

Height - 27"
Width - 23-25" (The backwall angles inward so 23" is at the far back, 25" in front)
Depth - 19-22" (19" from the sides, 22" from center)

Fireplace is all brick with a stone mantle, granite slab in front. The stove currently sits just before the granite slab so it meets the clearance spec in front.

They'd like a stove that takes 17-24" logs and sits inside the fireplace without sticking too far out. I think if they can get near 20" logs it'd be fine. They burn pretty regularly December-March and heat ~1600sqft. The stove is on the main level in an open living room/kitchen, with the upstairs ~20ft across the room. Ceilings are standard height (think 12ft?). They want a stove with glass in front to view the fire. Price is unknown currently. Just trying to give them a list that fits their setup and worrying about prices later.

My initial search found these stoves:
TrueNorth TN10
PE vista le (with short leg kit if available)
Regency 1500 (with short leg kit if available)
VC Dauntless

The 1.3 cu ft TN10 is quite small, the PE Vista doesn't have a short leg kit, nor does the Regency F1500. A nice stove would have been the Hampton H300, but that is no longer sold. None of these stoves takes 22" wood.

If they can cut future firewood to 16- 17" then the PE Super insert is what I'd recommend for 24/7 heating. It has a quiet blower. The insert can be run with the blower off, but when temps drop into the teens, I'd be running the blower at least on low speed to improve heat circulation. Just because they didn't have one with the Noble doesn't mean it's a bad idea to have on. Get an insert that projects out onto the hearth to minimize the blower need. Another one to consider would be the Lopi Answer.

Dix can fill you in on heating with the Super insert. She's been running one for 13 yrs.

Reactions: Dix
*Trots in*

Ask away about the PE, I'm all ears. I can tell you that the fan is not loud, has adjustable speed, and is a work horse (and I know my horses ;) ).

My fan is on the lowest speed 95% of the time, you don't even notice it after a bit. Except when it stops. Then you notice it. And that usually means a reload is due.

Interesting, I'll look into the PE Super. What's the maintenance look like on it? Aside from the rope gaskets, do/should you take the top assembly out to clear out the fly ash above the baffle? How long a burn can you expect with it?

I think they can overlook the blower part but it'll need to heat the house as much (or close) to the old stove. Otherwise my dad will continue burning it until it develops a large hole...and even then.

Thanks for the help.

The Super is robust and simple. It has a stainless baffle/secondary system that is not fragile. The stove will provide up to a 10-12hr burn. Annual cleaning is easy, remove the baffle, plug the secondary tube with a rag and sweep up. Put in a new baffle gasket and replace the baffle. A Sooteater works well for this sweeping method.

Once they see the nice fire view I think the blower use will come along. The biggest issue will be the learning curve. The new stove will not operate like the old Noble so he has to be willing to learn anew. The operation will be similar to the F45, so hopefully he listens to his son. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jotulf45v2
They'd like a stove that takes 17-24" logs and sits inside the fireplace without sticking too far out. I think if they can get near 20" logs it'd be fine. They burn pretty regularly December-March and heat ~1600sqft. The stove is on the main level in an open living room/kitchen, with the upstairs ~20ft across the room. Ceilings are standard height (think 12ft?). They want a stove with glass in front to view the fire. Price is unknown currently. Just trying to give them a list that fits their setup and worrying about prices later.

The PE is rated to 2000 SF, if I remember correctly. I'm heating 1400 SF of a 2000 SF house with nary a problem. It sounds like the layout will work. A house layout, even rough drawn, will help.

It is low maintenance. Easy to clean, replace the door gasket every few years.

Pic for your info as far as glass viewing, and how far it sticks out. Murphy & Sam not included :)

IMG_0158.jpg

• Love
Once they see the nice fire view I think the blower use will come along. The biggest issue will be the learning curve. The new stove will not operate like the old Noble so he has to be willing to learn anew. The operation will be similar to the F45, so hopefully he listens to his son. :)
Haha yeah you'd hope.

Can you sweep from the top? I imagine you need to remove the baffle prior regardless. Yeah I think they'll like it. What's the price range it goes for? I know there's a covid premium but at this rate they prob won't move on it till summer.

Yes, you can sweep from the top, but the baffle needs to be pulled anyway. It's a 30 second task once you know how to do it. Just don't forget the rag in the secondary tube supply hole.

I've given up guessing on stove prices this season or where they're heading. If you can find one in stock now in your region, grab it.

Note that if cost is a major issue, PE makes a conventional value line in the True North T20 insert. That has secondary tubes and a fiber baffle board and is more basic.

You have to pull the baffle to do a sweep. I sweep (well a friend does :) ) from the top. Works better for me.

My sweeping takes about 20 minutes, including removing & reinstalling the baffle. I've learned to have spare baffle insulation, incase it needs to be replaced, or, like mine did, simply vanish . Fairly inexpensive. purchase for the insulation.

My chimney brush is on a chain. 1 person on the roof, one at the insert. Chain drops down, and it's seesawed up & down until clean. Again, working best for me.

Be for warned. The baffle is heavier than you think it would be. Way heavier, which is probably why it works so well :)

Great info, thanks. Do you know how the Lopi Answer differs from the Super? Just curious as the view on that stove looks amazing. Is their baffle steel or fiber?

My mom visually likes higher quality stoves and my dad just wants a stove with minimal maintenance and high heat output. I showed them mine and they liked it, if only they had the space for it. I only had the TN stove on my list as a starting point for a possible free standing stove to fit in the opening. They would've had to cut the legs but for a discount stove they wouldn't feel too bad about it.

The Answer is a bit smaller at 1.6 cu ft and of the conventional tube design. It's a good quality insert, but they went to the more fragile fiber baffle board in the new version and does not have the regulated secondary that the Super does.