HELP THESE PELLETS STINK!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PutnamJct

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Bought 4 tons in July, all Dry Creek from the same dealer. All have same date on bag. Now that it's acting like winter, stoves been going 24/7 (except when thermo kicks it off)

Last night poured in a bag and within a1/2 hour the house stinks! Definitely coming from the stove. Smell is a strong burnt sawdust type of smell. I have never had this experience before. Got so bad I had to turn stove off and go to the oil furnace to keep warm.

I took the stove apart this AM and did a full cleaning. (Left pellets in hopper) No help. Do you think I just got a bad bag? Or should I be looking at something else?

I suspect when the last bag or so was poured into the hopper, some pellets spilled over and are sitting on top of the heat exchanger. Take a flashlight and look carefully behind the top vent grille. If you see pellets there, that's the culprit. You can try to fish them out or bear with it until they char.

That's why I love this place :)

I blew out a few pellets and some dust with a can of compressed air. Like magic the smell is gone!

Thanks BeGreen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.