Help!!Thimble/crock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone

May 20, 2008
North East Pennsylvania
I posted not to long ago my Harman TL 300 and its New Hearth. I am a new wood burner as mentioned and had everthing installed new (Chimney and hearth).

However I have a major problem. The stove requires 6 inch 24 guage black stove pipe. The problem is the crock/thimble measures less than 6 inches. This is a clay thimble/crock vented into a masonary chimney. After hours of trying to get the stove pipe in and also talkng to the individuals I purchased the stove it was a failure. We got the pipe in three inches and all crimped terrible. The pressure even broke the bottom of the thimble /crock.

So what we decided to do is take it out. What a task. I have about half out and nervous as hell worring that I am going to break the flue behind.

I am looking for sugesstions.

I thought butting with a new piece such as a seven inch timble/crock and putting the mud around it. Does this present a problem. Or should I have it totally removed and replace it with the new one hoping not to crack the flue.

Any suggestions is greatlly apprecieated!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.