Help, Thoughts, Ideas, suggestions???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jorswift

Jan 25, 2016
Indiana
Hello all,
I am newer to the fireplace heating world. We purchased our home about 1.5 years ago and there is a Majestic SC36 fireplace in the corner. I am was wanting to upgrade to an EPA ZC Fireplace, but I am running into issues I believe. The current fireplace is small and doesn't take up much room. The newer EPA ZC fireplaces are much bigger and take up a whole lot more room. I would have to bring my corner wall out into the living space over 12-15" for the EPA ZC fireplace. Is there anything that has similar measurements of the Majestic SC36? What would be other suggestions besides moving the wall? My wife doesn't like the idea of making the living space smaller. Also, she doesn't really like the idea of a free standing wood stove as she likes her fireplace mantle and décor up and around. I would really like to make this more efficient. Thanks.

Hello all,
I am newer to the fireplace heating world. We purchased our home about 1.5 years ago and there is a Majestic SC36 fireplace in the corner. I am was wanting to upgrade to an EPA ZC Fireplace, but I am running into issues I believe. The current fireplace is small and doesn't take up much room. The newer EPA ZC fireplaces are much bigger and take up a whole lot more room. I would have to bring my corner wall out into the living space over 12-15" for the EPA ZC fireplace. Is there anything that has similar measurements of the Majestic SC36? What would be other suggestions besides moving the wall? My wife doesn't like the idea of making the living space smaller. Also, she doesn't really like the idea of a free standing wood stove as she likes her fireplace mantle and décor up and around. I would really like to make this more efficient. Thanks.

Pictures help if you can put them up.

Have you sized up the Kozy Z42? It has a pretty small foot print. We replaced several old fireplaces with this model and it was a good fit.

Here are a couple older pics. The width of the wall is around 68", which means the 2 side walls are roughly around 48" deep.

Attachments

• lc0a80a45-m4r.jpg
    lc0a80a45-m4r.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 20160824_173114.jpg
    20160824_173114.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 20161127_173940.jpg
    20161127_173940.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 131
A 3" change in depth would be barely noticeable once it's all finished. There are ZC fireplaces that are only a couple inches deeper. Could it be that she is resisting on other grounds like cost, impact (dust and short term mess) or final look?

A 3" change in depth would be barely noticeable once it's all finished. There are ZC fireplaces that are only a couple inches deeper. Could it be that she is resisting on other grounds like cost, impact (dust and short term mess) or final look?

How do you figure 3" in change? My zc is triangle and has different requirements. Most of the epa's are square or rectangle and have to have wider clearances.

It was just a guess without the dimensions of the corner space. I just took a look at the manual for the SC36 and see what you mean now. There are some smaller 2 cu ft fireplaces that are around 36" wide and 24" deep like the RSF Focus 250.
Or perhaps consider opening up the corner and installing a nice freestanding stove like webfish did with his corner install.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-clearance-to-freestanding-wood-stove.155497/

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
It was just a guess without the dimensions of the corner space. I just took a look at the manual for the SC36 and see what you mean now. There are some smaller 2 cu ft fireplaces that are around 36" wide and 24" deep like the RSF Focus 250.
Or perhaps consider opening up the corner and installing a nice freestanding stove like webfish did with his corner install.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-clearance-to-freestanding-wood-stove.155497/

I found this link a whole ago and showed my wife. She wasn't too fond of the idea. I like how it looks, but my wife wants to stay more contemporary/mondern.

I found this link a whole ago and showed my wife. She wasn't too fond of the idea. I like how it looks, but my wife wants to stay more contemporary/mondern.
There are lots of very contmporary stove out there now. And you can do a very modern clean hearth and surround to. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I may be able to throw out the idea of a aclove and still be able to keep the mantle and top wall portion. Are there any like zc type stoves?

Clearance requirements for regular stoves would prohibit keeping the upper portion and mantle. There are several contemporary EPA ZC fireplaces that heat well.

Clearance requirements for regular stoves would prohibit keeping the upper portion and mantle. There are several contemporary EPA ZC fireplaces that heat well.

Yes, but I would have to move the wall out over a foot to gain clearance as they are much bigger and square compared to the triangular factor build I have in the corner.

Here are my install clearances and a Superior WCT2840. I'm no carpenter, but they are close. Not sure if I can make it work or will have to move the wall out much or not? What do you suggest? Also, my Majestic is a SC36, so my measurements are about 2" shorter than what is on here. Thanks.

Attachments

• 111.pdf
    329.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 222.pdf
    182.8 KB · Views: 86