Help to identify what I have!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vahomesteaders

Mar 8, 2019
Virginia
Hello friends. Been reading for years but first time posting. I have a Timberline woodstove that I believe is a wood boiler. I'm trying ty figure out just what it is and what I would need to make it work for a project for my barn. Any info would be great! Thank you.
Vahomesteader

Attachments

• 15520553825413209490968772759034.jpg
    15520553825413209490968772759034.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 365
  • 15520554312447711049866348153420.jpg
    15520554312447711049866348153420.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 332
Are you trying to heat the barn using it as a boiler (running radiators, etc.) or just as a wood stove? I have two friends trying to rebuild two separate stove that were hooked up for water (one "kind of" like yours, the other one was going to be for domestic hot water) and both failed miserably because of water leaks in the tubing. They both gave up after a lot of frustration and used their stoves are a regular wood stove. Curt

Looks like an old Timberline that someone has hacked up a tank to and cut out the door for an different air intake. Are you trying to use it as a boiler?

Are you trying to heat the barn using it as a boiler (running radiators, etc.) or just as a wood stove? I have two friends trying to rebuild two separate stove that were hooked up for water (one "kind of" like yours, the other one was going to be for domestic hot water) and both failed miserably because of water leaks in the tubing. They both gave up after a lot of frustration and used their stoves are a regular wood stove. Curt

I was thinking about trying to use it to give me a source of hot running water in a butchering area I'm working on in our barn We butcher several times a year and having hot water helps with the process to keep the everything in one area instead of hauling all the stuff inside for cleanup and such

Looks like an old Timberline that someone has hacked up a tank to and cut out the door for an different air intake. Are you trying to use it as a boiler?

I thought so too. It's definitely had some modifications but aside from one port and the door, the welds are pretty clean. They look pretty factory. I am looking to use it for a boiler to get some what continuous hot running water in my butcher barn.

Last edited:
I've used set ups on wall tent stoves which are not pressurized and work good. Pretty much have to fill a bucket right off the tank. But I assume you're looking for some to have hot water to a sink. Do you currently have a water source in the barn? Until I got water plumbed from my house to the shop I just plumbed everything in the shop (sink and toilet and point of use HWH) and hooked it to a hose when I was out there. The small point of use hot water heaters are cheap and easy. Designing a functional and safe boiler system is beyond my understanding.