Help! Too many options... Need insert advice for stone fireplace (Pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike5510

Oct 5, 2021
Southeast, Pa
Been reading this site and some other forums for a while. Seems like there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people on this site. I have been around wood stoves for most of my life but don't know much about inserts. I am hoping to gain some direction. I have been researching many of the inserts out there and I am officially down the rabbit hole lol.

I recently bought a house which we are renovating. I have hot water furnace (propane fueled) base boards as primary heat source but would like an insert that will allow me to offset the fuel costs and plan on consistent all day / overnight burns. We live in the woods and the possibility of multi day power loss in the winter months is very real. I will be getting a whole house generator in the next year.

The current fireplace is inoperable due to damaged flue and missing mortar in the chimney. I am working with a 33w x 29h x 20d oddly angled firebox that the insert will be going in (pics attached). There is a 13" stone outer hearth in front of the firebox. I have a 2600 sq ft house with about 75% of the main floor being open floor plan and exposed wood ceiling (9' flat ceiling / no vault). There are firebricks inside the fireplace that may need to be demoed to make the firebox more square to accommodate the insert. Some have told me to not remove those bricks, others have said its not a big deal. I have a local chimney / fireplace guy that does great work ready to perform the install but he doesn't really have any opinion on what insert I should go with.

I am really interested in a bump out style insert for better efficiency and I like the way they look, which has me looking at the Osburn 2000 to the 3500 series (which ever will fit). I always heard put the largest insert you can fit in your opening. I am also looking at the regency i2450. I am open to suggestions based on what will fit in my firebox, I want an insert that is on the EPA list to gain the benefit of the tax break.

I am looking to spend up to around $4500-$5000, but obviously I would like to spend less. Any help or direction is much appreciated.... Totally lost at this point.

Firebox Front View.jpgFirebox Angle View.jpgOutside Hearth.jpg

Those are, by far, the best pictures of a fireplace showing dimensions! Kudos to you, sir!

I just have a little Lopi Answer, which is great for my application.

Hahaha. Well thank you. I guess you could say I obsess a little over details.

In my experience the more information you give the better advice you receive. The devil always lays in the details… usually the ones people leave out. Lol

Folks will ask more about the chimney. Interior dimensions for a liner. Interior or exterior. Height.

Last edited:
Picture of chimney.

Beautiful fireplace dimension pictures even I could figure it all out...lol Now for the chimney..mrs clancey

It sounds like the hearth will need to be extended to meet the stove requirements. Agreed with your assessment, go for the largest insert that will fit and one that projects out onto the hearth a bit, and extend the hearth per the manual.

One dimension to note is the height from the floor to the hearth. Different inserts require different floor protection based on height. And by different I mean. Different R insulation values or just ember protection. Time to spend some time with manuals and see if any differences make one more appealing than the other.

One dimension to note is the height from the floor to the hearth. Different inserts require different floor protection based on height. And by different I mean. Different R insulation values or just ember protection. Time to spend some time with manuals and see if any differences make one more appealing than the other.
Yes, I am guessing that the hearth to floor height here is >8", so the floor may just need ember protection. The mantel shelf may need shielding.

Approximately how tall is the chimney? One story or two?

Did you make a decision? I could have written your exact original post, so I am VERY curious about what you have found out!

3654D7AA-C01B-4E8C-99EC-8B03A1566C9C.jpeg8AE0CAC7-6130-4173-9EC3-5372BC282EC2.jpeg204B9947-AB95-475C-9E58-D6C6DEC272C6.jpegA0F939AD-E7C2-4FEA-AF6B-7213E7FC27E3.jpeg
Hey all! Thank you for some great direction. Ended up going with an Osburn 3500. Did a lot of research and after receiving a couple hefty propane bills decided that the stove would pay for itself by the end of the year.

Talked to Jack at:

Sent him those same drawings and he helped me out with the rest.

Bought 25’ x 6” SS chimney liner with insulation.

Wheeled it into the house with 4 strong buddies an appliance dolly and ply wood down to distribute weight and not mess up the floor. Once we got it to the hearth I laid down a sheet of flat thick plastic (thickness of a garbage can, not a trash bag). We then all lifted it up using some appliance straps with a guy on all corners and one in the front. We we’re able to slide it around without scraping up the stone hearth with the plastic underneath. Going to lay some floating tile as a hearth extension soon.

Really happy so far but paint smell is hardly gone so time will tell. Haha.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
View attachment 288059View attachment 288060View attachment 288061View attachment 288062Hey all! Thank you for some great direction. Ended up going with an Osburn 3500. Did a lot of research and after receiving a couple hefty propane bills decided that the stove would pay for itself by the end of the year.

Talked to Jack at:

Sent him those same drawings and he helped me out with the rest.

Bought 25’ x 6” SS chimney liner with insulation.

Wheeled it into the house with 4 strong buddies an appliance dolly and ply wood down to distribute weight and not mess up the floor. Once we got it to the hearth I laid down a sheet of flat thick plastic (thickness of a garbage can, not a trash bag). We then all lifted it up using some appliance straps with a guy on all corners and one in the front. We we’re able to slide it around without scraping up the stone hearth with the plastic underneath. Going to lay some floating tile as a hearth extension soon.

Really happy so far but paint smell is hardly gone so time will tell. Haha.
How have you liked it so far, and hve you had any noisy blower problems ? I’m torn between regency 2450i and osburn3500. I have room for both and prefer to have a larger insert but I’m weary bc I’ve seen so many noisy fans in the osburn 3500 and it’s predecessor on YouTube. If I knew the fan wouldn’t be noisy I’d get the same stove you did.

Did you make a decision? I could have written your exact original post, so I am VERY curious about what you have found out!
I just had an estimate to put a longer stove in my fireplace it’s slightly longer so I need to expand the hearth you have 18” measured from the firebox to the lip of the hearth, it seems that it was the most important issue. Good luck.

That bad boy will make a nice difference Mike5510. Looks good!