Help...wet from storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Buckdaniels

Sep 15, 2021
New York
Hello all, new guy here. I purchased a gas Jotul 600 DV II Firelight about 6 years ago. Install was in my basement. Hurricane IDA rain poured into my basement filling the fireplace box several inches coming from up top. After I vacuum dried, aired out the stove and used an air gun to completely dry the unit(Several weeks). I attempted to light the fireplace but will not light. I want to try and fix this myself as the company who installed it wants big bucks to come take a look. Where to I begin! Not that mechanically inclined but you tube, some tools, and you all hoping to fix this myself. I see the spark from ignitor. Had an FD friend use a tool to measure the gas output and no readings. Is there a sensor or valve that is not opening. I usually always keep the pilot light on when not in use. Hope to hear some responses to figure this out. I wanted to change out the pilot assembly but dont want to waste my money and time if this is not the problem.
Please help and thank you all in advance.

pilot light heats a thernmo couple to open gas valve for starting if the valve assembly was under water you might have to replace it.

Going a little further. your gas valve should have a position for lighting the pilot. generally set valve to that and then push a separate button and hold or push down and hold on that control to send gas to the pilot, or like a gas grill still has a start position and then hit the piezo sparker button. . on some like furnaces if you do not get it to start( pilot lite) then it goes into a timed delay before you can try again. safety precaution so you do not load everything with a big cloud of gas ( as in BOOM) this is built in to the gas valve or from the main control board (time delay).

If the stove was actually submerged I suppose it's possible that the burner and burner line to the valve could actually still have water in them...if water made its way into the valve itself then that could be a problem to...

Going a little further. your gas valve should have a position for lighting the pilot. generally set valve to that and then push a separate button and hold or push down and hold on that control to send gas to the pilot, or like a gas grill still has a start position and then hit the piezo sparker button. . on some like furnaces if you do not get it to start( pilot lite) then it goes into a timed delay before you can try again. safety precaution so you do not load everything with a big cloud of gas ( as in BOOM) this is built in to the gas valve or from the main control board (time delay).
Yes I moved the the position to lighting the pilot, holding the button down and gas does not come out of it. Is there a sensor inside that needs to be reset? Or am I out of luck. I will keep you all updated. Thank you for the reply

Did you take your pilot apart? The hood should pop off, the orifice comes out with an Allen. Then hold pilot knob and listen