Help with cleaning smoke box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlacierBay12

Oct 13, 2009
Eastern MA
When we bought our house 5 years ago, it came with a Glacier Bay stove and we had never really took the time to learn more about the way the stove is connected, though we have always had it cleaned professionally; or so we thought.

A couple of weeks ago, I thought it would be nice to pull the stove out and give it a new coat of paint. When I pulled it out I found that I only had a 12" pipe going though the blockoff plate. I guess you guys call this a "slammer". While the chimney sweep may have done a fairly decent job keeping the flue clean, he NEVER told me the dangers of this type of installation nor the tremendous level of gunk in the smoke box. I shined a flashlight though the 6" hole and I could not believe what I saw. Not only thick glazing, but 1" thick of what looks and feels like a lava or fake rock. In searching the forums, I am not sure if this is what is called pyrolized creosote or not. I am able to knock it down fairly easily, but there is still a thick layer of creosote. Does this mean that I have had a chimney fire before? Looking down from the roof, the clay tiles look OK.

I plan to install a rigid HeatFab Saf-T liner as chimney is a fairly straight drop down a 12" x 12" clay flue with only a 7” shift at the bottom to align with the stove. I calculated I can use two 15 degree elbows with a 24" section to handle the shift; I have the vertical space in the smoke box. But before I install the liner, I need to get the chimney clean. We do have the smoke box odor on damp days. Any tips\tricks on how to really get this clean above the damper and how clean do I really need to get? Is it more of a concern making sure the flue is clean with the liner?

You may want to have a licensed chimney sweep (not the same one you had) take a look. They can get this clean for you if you hire the right sweep.

Agreed. www.csia.org

You can search for a certified sweep in your area there. Minimum you should have had a stainless liner going up to the first flue tile above the smoke chamber. Please don't use this stove until this is cleaned up and addressed.

+1 . . . or would that be +2 . . . on hiring a different sweep to get the entire thing cleaned before the new liner is installed . . . most folks recommend having the chimney clean before a new liner is installed.

OK, I will call around to some of the other sweeps to see what they can perhaps do. I guess I was looking to see if I could save by doing some of the grunt work, but I guess this may be a case where the sweep is better. But help me out, the flue is clean; the previous sweep cleaned it and I ran the brush as well. My concern is the creosote in the smoke box. I have a stiff wire brush on a long handle so I can get some leverage. All the loose stuff is down but the shiny black layer won't budge. What will the sweep do and how do know when it is clean enough? Remember, I am going with an HeatFab Saf-T insulated rigid liner from the stove to chimney top.

Thanks for the replys, this site has really helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.