Help with EF3 Convection Blower.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneR34

Sep 19, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
Hey, folks. Been a while since I've posted here, but I now need a little advice. Pardon me well I set things up...

Last season I forgot to lubricate the convection blower fan during the preseason deep clean. Of course, it seized up at some point. After a little 3 in 1 oil, and manually turning the fan, everything was fine for the rest of the season.

This fall I was far later than usual getting to my cleaning , so I was running it during the day and off at night (or unattended) until I could clean and inspect it. Again, the fan seized up. That surprised me as I didn't think it had been that long since I lubricated it last (and why I didn't worry about it). Again, a little oil and all was good.

A few weeks later, I finally got to the cleaning and decided to add just a couple more drops of oil for good measure.

Fast forward a few more weeks of normal operation....

Now last night I had the fan off for a minute. When I turned it back on there was a squeal and it struggled for a few seconds before it started running normally. I shut the stove down for the night as it was late and I didn't feel like messing with it.

This morning the fan is running fine. I've cycled it off and on several times and there's no issue.

So, am I headed for a fan failure? Should I just keep an eye on it or give in and replace it? It's a bad time of year to spend money (I think they're $200-$300?), so I'd like to get this fan through one more season.

Thanks for any help :)

Sounds like you are on your way to a full blow bearing failure.
That being said the bearings are replace able if you have access
to bearing pullers and are handy . A rebuilt motor is part of my parts stock .
mind you I had to spend money on a new one first so that I have 2
You may have to bite the bullet and by new but look around there are
some good after market blower at a good price That will fit an EF3

I think you must have been looking at the combustion blower and not the convection. That was $249 or so. With shipping, I'm betting it would be more than I would pay locally. Thanks, though. :)

Anyway, the fan seemed to run fine all day yesterday, but after cycling it off and on a couple of times late last night I could tell is was not normal. So, I opened the stove and had a look. It was definitely not moving as freely as it was (even after oil just a couple of weeks back), so I shut it down. It's most certainly on it's way to dying.

So, long story short, I'll be calling my supplier today and getting a new one. Was not happy about need the baseboards on last night....coldest night of the year so far up here (-18C). Figures...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.