Help with installing a new stove in alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CBdavid

Aug 19, 2020
oregon
Hello, I am planning on installing a new wood stove (quadra fire discovery II) in my home. I attached some pictures for reference. I am not looking to have this be something that is our primary heat source, but have it be something that looks nice and is functional. My questions are...

- Once I clean the clay lined flue (9"X10") will it be an appropriate passage for the stove?
- Per the install documents the discovery II stove meets all requirements for spacing to combustibles. Is there a limit on how close the stove can be to the brick?
- What are the pipe products I would need to install the stove to the existing 8" hole? Most videos I have seem there is a flexible pipe so fit up is easy. My situation would not have a flexible segment so how would I get everything in place?
- Ideally I don't want any bends in the connection, the 8" opening is close the back of the alcove, is it ok to be that close?

In short, I just want some advice on what products I would need to connect the stove to the existing flue and for anyone to let me know if I am attempting something dangerous for our home.

Thanks-

Attachments

• IMG_20200817_110310.jpg
    IMG_20200817_110310.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20200817_110346.jpg
    IMG_20200817_110346.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20200817_110351.jpg
    IMG_20200817_110351.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 91
Install a 6" flex liner to the thimble, then install black pipe with the liner. A direct connection will make a mess with liquid creosote dripping. Depending on your chimney clearances to combustibles you may need a fully insulated liner.

Hello, I am planning on installing a new wood stove (quadra fire discovery II) in my home. I attached some pictures for reference. I am not looking to have this be something that is our primary heat source, but have it be something that looks nice and is functional. My questions are...

- Once I clean the clay lined flue (9"X10") will it be an appropriate passage for the stove?
- Per the install documents the discovery II stove meets all requirements for spacing to combustibles. Is there a limit on how close the stove can be to the brick?
- What are the pipe products I would need to install the stove to the existing 8" hole? Most videos I have seem there is a flexible pipe so fit up is easy. My situation would not have a flexible segment so how would I get everything in place?
- Ideally I don't want any bends in the connection, the 8" opening is close the back of the alcove, is it ok to be that close?

In short, I just want some advice on what products I would need to connect the stove to the existing flue and for anyone to let me know if I am attempting something dangerous for our home.

Thanks-
The brick is not combustible, so you don't need to worry about that clearance. What is behind the brick is what you need to pay attention to. If there is wood framing or other combustables behind the brick, use those to determine distance to combustibles.

Last edited:
What is unknown is how this was constructed. Is there a wood studded structure behind the brick or is it only brick?

Reactions: moresnow