Help with Liner connection Jotul 550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkofler

Burning Hunk
Nov 15, 2011
Long Island
Stove has been running great all winter. Easy to tell something was not right this evening. Loaded about 5 medium splits. Had lots of secondaries at only 300 degrees or so, not much flame from splits though. Cracked the door, smoke came pouring out, this never happens. Stove got up to 600 or so, secondaries roaring, just didn't seem quite right though. Decided to crack the door again, smoke pours out again. Air is about 3/4 closed, secondaries will stop for a few seconds, then come back with authority and push some smoke out into the house. I shine a light in the slot where air comes out, sure enough I see some tape coming down from pipe connection (sorry for my non technical terms). Took off surround and it looks like the tape has come loose. Now I do have to say that this connection was quite a bear because there is only about an inch clearance at the top of the stove. I believe the liner never did quite make a sealed, flush connection to the stove. I guess the tape had sealed it, until now.
Suggestion???? I guess I will call installer tomorrow, same place I purchased from. Should I suggest they use a 15 degree connector from stove to liner? It is definitely not a straight drop from chimney to stove. I know I saw a thread recently that someone used that successfully. Anyone remember who it was? Not sure I even want the installer back, can't say I was that happy with them to begin with, now this! Anyone have a quality installer on Long Island they think could help? Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_1304.JPG
    IMG_1304.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1305.JPG
    IMG_1305.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1307.JPG
    IMG_1307.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1303.JPG
    IMG_1303.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 148
What a joke! Tape does fine until it gets hot.:rolleyes: The tape is a problem for sure, but it could be the flue. Has it been cleaned lately? I rarely get away without an elbow on top of an insert. The installer should have had any elbows that he might need with him when he did the install.

I don't think it is your problem of the moment but that tape should never have been used. Any tape. There is no tape made that can take the heat from that pipe. As to who used the elbow, that would be me.

elbow.jpg

Flue was cleaned end of last winter. Only about a coffee can worth. I doubt it is the flue. Cap looks ok from ground, but i will certainly take a look at both. Not what i needed with coldest weather of winter coming next week.

Quick update. Spoke with installer. He defends using tape to fill any gaps. I told him I want an elbow, even sent him picture. They are sending someone out, we will see.

If he short cutted that just imagine what else he has done, no way can any kind of tape be used on an appliance connecter (if they used one). That looks like the tape you use on flex pipe insulation, no way is it made for those temps.

Tell him he is a moron and should be sued for potentially filling your house with Carbon Monoxide from a leaking connector.

The only thing to be used to seal pipe is furnace cement if you can't get ahold of mill-pac.

Quick update. Installer came out today and he did re-attach the liner using an elbow. Connection was much tighter and much simpler. Glad I thought of it, insert sarcasm here. Guess I really need to give all of you the credit, thanks so much for the feedback. I really feel sorry for people that do not educate themselves.
One more question. He did have to remove the cap and top plate (not sure if that is exactly what it is called). Resealed to clay liner using some sort of tube sealant. How long should I let that dry before burning again?
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.