Help With Lopi 400 PI (Insert)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OldGuy12

Feb 25, 2020
Northern NY
Hi all,

We have an old Lopi insert that was here when we bought the house about 16 years ago. We hadn't used it for about 10 years because our grandson was here a lot and we feared he'd get burned on the insert. Anyway I fired it up last week. It burned fairly well but it did form a bit of haze on the window. Not bad, though. But the second time I used it, it burned very dirty with half the window covered in black after just a few hours. I cleaned all the interior as well as I could and then disconnected the vent pipe and pulled out the insert from the fireplace.

I reamed out the vent with a very long chimney brush and it actually was that dirty. I did have to break up some hardened creosote where the horizontal exhaust changes to vertical. I was going to remove the exhaust motor but it is apparent that to reseal the connection to the exhaust "tunnel" would be impossible to do completely as the space underneath is about 1/4" and my finger wouldn't even fit under it. So I used a new gasket to reattach the vent and put everything back together. Unfortunately the stove still burns dirty.

I checked for air leaks around the door and ash tray but all is snug. Actually I had replaced the gaskets some time in the past but like I said we didn't use it for 10 years. I'd love to hear from someone who knows this unit well. The local dealer wants $300 to come out and clean it which is more than I can spend. What should I check for to try to get this unit to burn well? Thanks.

You may have to pull the exhaust blower, not the whole housing just the motor plate. 6 screws and it should come out of the housing. The fan blades will be on the opposite side of the motor.You may need a gasket for that part. Where are you in northern NY?

You may have to pull the exhaust blower, not the whole housing just the motor plate. 6 screws and it should come out of the housing. The fan blades will be on the opposite side of the motor.You may need a gasket for that part. Where are you in northern NY?
Near Carthage, NY. To pull the motor I must disconnect from where it connects to the exhaust "tunnel" that leads towards the vent. My concern is that connection is currently sealed with silicone, but I'd not be able to get to the lower part of that connection to reapply the silicone. If there's a gasket there, will that suffice to seal it you think? Thanks for your response.

Last edited:
I work in Watertown ill send my number in a private message

Hi again.

Thank you to Ssyko who helped me to figure out how to get the exhaust motor out of my Lopi 400PI so I could clean it. It now burns cleaner than it has since I've owned it. Now I have another issue, though.

It seems that the convection motor isn't always working as it should. It just seems to stop working while the stove is burning along. When that happens, the stove gets extremely hot to the point where you cannot touch the inside of the pellet hopper. Can anyone help me to troubleshoot this problem, or is it a given that I need a new convection motor? Thanks.

.... I had just turned the stove off before I posted this. When I went downstairs (about half an hour had passed) the convection blower was working. That's the second time this has happened. That is, after I turn the stove off because it is so hot and convection blower not working, after it cools down some the blower comes on. Any idea what that might mean? Thanks.

Last edited:
Pm sent lol. I saw your pm before I got to this post