Help with Lopi Flex 95 baffle!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mt Ski Bum

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2011
Dillon, Mt
Does anyone here have experience with the Lopi Flex 95 insert? I'm restoring one, and the baffle has me baffled! The owners manual shows only 3 bricks in the rear row of the baffle, yet looking inside the firebox, 3 bricks clearly does not cover the entire width of the baffle. It looks like, as with most Avalon/Lopi stoves, the smoke is designed to go around the front of the baffle whether or not the catalyst (the Flex 95 was a hybrid stove with both a catalyst & a secondary burn tube) is engaged.

Any insight?

20230427_144810.jpg Screenshot_20230427-144752_Office Mobile.jpg

It's an oddball, the baffle diagram shows there are only 3 bricks centered at the rear of the stove. Can a 4th one fit? If so, I'd be tempted to run it with the 4th one in place.

Reactions: Mt Ski Bum
Are you certain your stove is the same as in the manual?

I should have added to my statement - adding a 4th firebrick ** if there is an open smoke path in front of the baffle for it to turn the corner back to the flue outlet.** It's hard to see this from the diagram or picture.

Are you certain your stove is the same as in the manual?
yes, I am certain it is the same stove. Everything else matches up perfectly.

Reactions: TomMcDonald