Help with making sure bottom feed pellet stove is burning correctly.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

barnaclebob

Feeling the Heat
Nov 29, 2017
Puget Sound
I finally cleaned out and fired up the pellet stove that came with my house. Its an older looking bottom feed made by Warnock Hershey, Model: Welenco Plus.

The first time I tried running it I just vacuumed out the old pellets and anything in the firebox. Refed the pellets back up but the flames didn't burn too strong. It went out, and the augur was jamming. I vacuumed it out again chipped off some stuff that was caked on and unclogged some air holes. I think the caked on stuff was causing too much resistance for the auger. This time the flames burned better but they weren't the strong blown looking flames I see on most videos. Just kind of looked like a pile of pellets burning.

I assume that the auger is supposed to push the pellets out and create and create a slowly erupting pile of pellets that burns away, leaving ash that falls to the side and needs to be emptied out every once and awhile. Correct?

Warnock Hershey makes nothing,they are a testing agency.I would find a manual,thoroughly clean the stove and the flue.To be honest,I have never heard of a Welenco Plus.

Been out of business for years
give it a full cleaning Parts are still available on line

Found this https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/help-1991-welenco-plus-pellet-stove.25210/ And there are some more threads,use the search box above.
Yeah I had seen that and chipping out the carbon is what i had to do. Here is the label on the back of the stove.

20171130_093801.jpg

OK you posted the WH certification sticker.Post a copy of the manual.But,anyway,that is an old positive pressure stove,the flue system has to be right for them to work,and,even then,they do not always work properly.If you do not have a really good understanding of pellet stoves,flues,draft,I recommend you educate yourself,or replace it.Positive pressure/draft stoves went away many years ago,for simple reasons.

Why risk burning down your house or CO2 poisoning? Have the stove checked out and professionally cleaned BEFORE lighting it again.