Help with making sure bottom feed pellet stove is burning correctly.

barnaclebob Posted By barnaclebob, Feb 10, 2019 at 12:46 PM

1. barnaclebob

barnaclebob
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 29, 2017
    Loc:
    Puget Sound
    I finally cleaned out and fired up the pellet stove that came with my house. Its an older looking bottom feed made by Warnock Hershey, Model: Welenco Plus.

The first time I tried running it I just vacuumed out the old pellets and anything in the firebox. Refed the pellets back up but the flames didn't burn too strong. It went out, and the augur was jamming. I vacuumed it out again chipped off some stuff that was caked on and unclogged some air holes. I think the caked on stuff was causing too much resistance for the auger. This time the flames burned better but they weren't the strong blown looking flames I see on most videos. Just kind of looked like a pile of pellets burning.

I assume that the auger is supposed to push the pellets out and create and create a slowly erupting pile of pellets that burns away, leaving ash that falls to the side and needs to be emptied out every once and awhile. Correct?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
    Warnock Hershey makes nothing,they are a testing agency.I would find a manual,thoroughly clean the stove and the flue.To be honest,I have never heard of a Welenco Plus.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Been out of business for years
    give it a full cleaning Parts are still available on line

4. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
  5. barnaclebob

barnaclebob
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 29, 2017
    Loc:
    Puget Sound
  6. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
    OK you posted the WH certification sticker.Post a copy of the manual.But,anyway,that is an old positive pressure stove,the flue system has to be right for them to work,and,even then,they do not always work properly.If you do not have a really good understanding of pellet stoves,flues,draft,I recommend you educate yourself,or replace it.Positive pressure/draft stoves went away many years ago,for simple reasons.

7. barnaclebob

barnaclebob
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 29, 2017
    Loc:
    Puget Sound
    I dont have a manual ill do some googling though. The draft is very good, probably about 30ft of masonry interior chimney. We havent had any smoke issues in about 12 hours of burning it. It does look like it needs to be cleaned out already.

8. fmsm

fmsm
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2011
    Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    Why risk burning down your house or CO2 poisoning? Have the stove checked out and professionally cleaned BEFORE lighting it again.