Help With My Blaze King...Unusual Sound...Like Water Dripping On Hot Skillet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
Early this morning, it was about 30* outside...68* inside...t'stat set on 1.75...cat glowing...cat temp at 1000* (pointing straight up at the 12 o'clock position)

Every few seconds I would hear this sizzle sound...like a drop of water hitting a hot skillet (I had to be close to the stove hear it). I thought maybe it was water dripping from the pipe connection on the stove, onto the closed bypass damper. I opened the bypass damper but the sound continued. I then turned the t'stat up and the sound quickly disappeared.

I know my wood is not dry enough, but I'm trying to make due with what I got...white oak that ranges from 20% - 30%. I do have creosote build-up inside the stove, but as of a 3 days ago I had none in the pipe...the pipe had only brown powdery/flaky stuff. The pipe is about 20' straight up (no elbows or offsets) with about 6' exposed above the roof. Visually inspecting the rain cap from the ground, shows no build up at all.

There was no rain, only beautifully clear skies.

Any thoughts as to what I was hearing?

fdegree said:
Early this morning, it was about 30* outside...68* inside...t'stat set on 1.75...cat glowing...cat temp at 1000* (pointing straight up at the 12 o'clock position)

Every few seconds I would hear this sizzle sound...like a drop of water hitting a hot skillet (I had to be close to the stove hear it). I thought maybe it was water dripping from the pipe connection on the stove, onto the closed bypass damper. I opened the bypass damper but the sound continued. I then turned the t'stat up and the sound quickly disappeared.

I know my wood is not dry enough, but I'm trying to make due with what I got...white oak that ranges from 20% - 30%. I do have creosote build-up inside the stove, but as of a 3 days ago I had none in the pipe...the pipe had only brown powdery/flaky stuff. The pipe is about 20' straight up (no elbows or offsets) with about 6' exposed above the roof. Visually inspecting the rain cap from the ground, shows no build up at all.

There was no rain, only beautifully clear skies.

Any thoughts as to what I was hearing?

Creosote - the shiny liquid stuff that starts chimney fires?

Shari

I know on mine the t-stat can make a clicking sound once in a great while.
If I move it back and forth a little around 2 I can hear the intake close..try doing that and see if that is what your hearing.
Sometimes though I hear something like you're talking about and I thought maybe it was just the bi metal spring making that noise without closing the air.
But what I hear is more like clicking then a sizzle.

What you are hearing is the ticking of a time bomb, namely wet creosote dripping. If you must burn wet wood keep the fire hotter and clean the flue often.

Yeah, creosote was my thought too. Was hoping someone would suggest something else. Hopefully, I can get up on the roof tomorrow to inspect the pipe. :red:

Could it be condensation dripping down from the rain cap? These stoves are so efficient that when they burn in the lower settings all you see is water vapor or steam out the stack. It could build up and start dripping back down and when you turn up the heat it takes care of it?

I think it is the moisture in that wood hitting the cat.

Well, this morning I looked up the pipe from inside the stove, using a mirror and flashlight. There was also light shining down the pipe from the daylight shining through the cap. No sign of anything black or shiny on the walls of the pipe...just light brown powdery/flaky stuff.

Does anyone think I should get up on the roof and look down from there?

fdegree said:
Well, this morning I looked up the pipe from inside the stove, using a mirror and flashlight. There was also light shining down the pipe from the daylight shining through the cap. No sign of anything black or shiny on the walls of the pipe...just light brown powdery/flaky stuff.

stay off the roof. The "stuff" will look the same with the added benefit you can fall and kill yourself. Its the holiday season and killing oneself is bad form.

fdegree said:

Here's a thought - Instead of just looking, clean the chimney (either do it yourself or hire someone). If the sizzling sound goes away you know what your problem was.

It's the holiday season - burn safe.

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.