help with my castile insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish On

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2009
The other Cape..
i have a 1 yr old castile insert and it has been shutting down after about 12 hrs of use sometimes. really weird i thought it may be my batterrys in my remote which i changed everything is clean im using good pellets and im not getting any codes on the box.
the call light just goes off and it goes in to shut down mode.

im usally sleeping when it happens but i did notice it the other day and saw it for myself. I was thinking there would have been a light flashing for a code

if it is a snap switch wouldnt it not let me start it again? or I would have to reset it i would think.

the only thing I could think of is the vacume line but i clean my pellets anyways! would that give a blue light which I would think but nothing comes up as an error!

can you disconnect the remote stuff from the stove? I have an older castile free standing unit, so not sure if you can. But if you can jumper out the thermostat, so it will make the stove run continuous. Thus helping you troubleshoot if it is the stove or the remote stuff. I could be a interference problem. Hope this helps.............Brian

From your description the stove made the set point (call light went out) and shut it self down.

Did the stove actually make set point?

If so why do you expect a code?

well I did a really good cleaning today boy was my stove dirty! I'm embarrassed that it was that bad.

pulled everything apart broke a gasket no biggie but glad i did.

it even sounds quieter which it was before so I'm hoping i saved my self some cash for no service call.

Fish On said:
well I did a really good cleaning today boy was my stove dirty! I'm embarrassed that it was that bad.

pulled everything apart broke a gasket no biggie but glad i did.

it even sounds quieter which it was before so I'm hoping i saved my self some cash for no service call.

Kudos to you for admitting it, man!!!!

Did the cleaning resolve the issue?

If not, a lot of remotes have a factory set time-out period. For the Quad Smart-Stat remote this would be 9 hours. If the remote is left on for 9 hours continues it assume you forgot about the fireplace and turns it off. To bypass this use the thermostat settings and your stove should cycle a few times (unless its that cold in your house...) which will reset the time-out period.

To test the time-out you can jumper the thermostat as B-Mod suggested and the stove should run indefinitely.

jtp10181 said:

If not, a lot of remotes have a factory set time-out period. For the Quad Smart-Stat remote this would be 9 hours. If the remote is left on for 9 hours continues it assume you forgot about the fireplace and turns it off. To bypass this use the thermostat settings and your stove should cycle a few times (unless its that cold in your house...) which will reset the time-out period.

To test the time-out you can jumper the thermostat as Smokey suggested and the stove should run indefinitely.

Hey.....I suggested that!!!! LOL.............Brian

B-Mod said:
jtp10181 said:

To test the time-out you can jumper the thermostat as Smokey suggested and the stove should run indefinitely.

Hey.....I suggested that!!!! LOL.............Brian

Oh yeah... whops. I did not scroll up far enough to get the name. Fixed my post to eliminate confusion to the OP.

I have pretty much cleaned everything I can get to without a huge headache on mine. I still need to pull the combustion blower I guess, I just don't want to do something and it not be needed. I have wire brushed the combustion fan and any accessible area from the inside and from the exhaust port along with pulled and cleaned the blower fans which were nasty. The stove has always been noisier than I would like but I cant see or feel anything behind the combustion fan even with a bent piece of wire. I guess I am curious if there are hidden surprises that hide behind the impeller. I doubt the combustion fan has been out since the stove was new. What are your thoughts?

I did notice a large increase in combustion fan speed just wire brushing the impeller blades and attacking everything I could get to with a wire brush. I vac the stove every couple days and pull the plates and baffle about every weekend and brush and vac everything I can get to from the front.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread I just wanted to add to the castile cleaning thread that is already going.

I have learned also how sensitive these are to keep running at their peak. It is kind of a challenge though and after while you want to see how much you heat you can squeeze out of every pellet.

I had a nasty rumble from my St. Croix until i took out the combustion fan and blew all the crap outta it... no more noise or vibrations rattling the tin...

Status
Not open for further replies.