Help with Oak ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claydogg84

Minister of Fire
Sep 9, 2013
Salt Point, NY
Picked up a solid load of wood alongside the road this morning. Got pretty wet in the process but it was worth it - Snagged 2 different Oak trees, and some Black Locust. I'm trying to learn how to ID the different types of oak, maybe you guys can help me. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

Looks like red, split and if you smell cat piss, its red.

Reactions: DTrain
It all looks like red to me.

From what I read, Red oak has the pointed leaf, and white oak has the rounded lobes. Seems I had it backwards but still not certain. Are there other types of oak it could be?

Reactions: Fred Wright
The top tree is Bur Oak. And you are right, if the veins in the leaf extend out past the the leaf margin (like a cat claw) its in the Red oak group. White Oak leaf veins stop at the leaf margins and generally have rounded lobes(fingers)
The first pics are a white oak( Bur) and your second is a Red oak of some type, not sure which one exactly.
So you have white and red. Nice looking trees too.

The top tree is Bur Oak. And you are right, if the veins in the leaf extend out past the the leaf margin (like a cat claw) its in the Red oak group. White Oak leaf veins stop at the leaf margins and generally have rounded lobes(fingers)
The first pics are a white oak( Bur) and your second is a Red oak of some type, not sure which one exactly.
So you have white and red. Nice looking trees too.

Thanks!

Bur oak and white oak leaves look similar, but white oak has more of a 3 point crown looking end and these don't have that. Bur it is. Next leaf is red oak by the width of the leaf between points.

Reactions: claydogg84
The Bur Oak was an uprooted tree alongside the road. I cut the branch that I thought was propping it up and the tree stayed about 5 foot off the ground. I thought to myself - perfect, I can knock all these rounds without bending over! So I cut 2 more rounds off the maybe 20' stalk and once the second round hit the ground, the remaining 15' flopped straight back to where it had fallen!!! It was in a swampy area so I didn't fell it, but I did get a good chuckle when that thing sprung right back to where it was. Now it looks like someone came and felled a tree 15' off the ground.

I agree the first tree is Bur Oak, and the second one is something in the Red Oak group. The leaf could be Red, Black, or perhaps another species. The bark looks more like Black Oak than Red Oak, but can't say for sure.

Reactions: Brewmonster
From what I read, Red oak has the pointed leaf, and white oak has the rounded lobes. Seems I had it backwards but still not certain. Are there other types of oak it could be?

No question, red oak is pointed, the white oak group is rounded lobes. Black oak is also pointed, as is pin oak. Red oak is reddish when split (also reddish in floor boards). Red oak can be described as having ski trails on the trunk -- because of dark areas and gray areas in the bark. White oak has a lighter bark, not sure what words to describe it. When alive, the trees are distinguishable at a glance.

Status
Not open for further replies.