Help with old brick fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaHole

Oct 2, 2010
WI
Hi all,

Attached is the house we bought and it is a true log wall small cabin about 550sq ft. The clay tile is square 12”. The house only has electric base board heat so I want to do something to take advantage of the fireplace and I do prefer real wood vs pellet. Thoughts on putting in an insert and like an 8 inch liner or setting in a small freestanding and a 6 or 8” liner depending on the stove. I can get measurements of the inside, but I think it is like 36”.
C186E808-0987-42C2-836A-FB88F3DD7899.jpegB23FEF16-9163-427F-A252-522200F3E5E7.jpeg

Having measurements for the inside dimensions are going to be key to finding what you are looking for. For that small square footage, you shouldn't need anything very big. Beautiful place.

Fit the BIGGEST firebox you can in there. Your goal is as close to an overnight burn as you can get.

It looks like a heatalator system, with the side vents, similar to mine, where the PE resides.

You can build a smaller fire in a bigger box, but not a bigger fire in a small box.

Welcome to the Forums !!

Attachments

• sept093.jpg
    sept093.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 127
Listen to both posts above as they get it right. Insulated liner and make a block off plate. I covered my four vents on my heatilator style and I insulated the smoke shelf area and removed the damper. easy peasy.

Is this going to be a secondary home? If its secondary, are you planning on maintaining the electric heat while away, or will the place start off with cold starts at every arrival?
I ask because while log homes are very efficient, they also have a lot of mass to them, this maybe trouble once temps get to the single digits and a cold start is required, it will take quite a while to raise the inside temps to the 60's with all the required mass to heat up.

How much will the baseboard heat be used? Will the cabin be used 24/7 or just occasionally?

Go with a 6" insulated liner and an insert in the 2 cu ft range. With that short chimney I would be looking at the PE Super or Drolet 1800i.

Inside dimension are
front 36 wide and 24 tall and 24 deep and 27.5 wide at the back. The damper is Completely rusted out.

it will be a 24x7 live in so no cold cabin starts, only cold fire starts when gone overnight / weekend etc, but then electric will be on to keep it warm.

Last edited:
Anything needing an 8" liner will be too big for that space. Even the largest insert taking a 6" liner could be overpowering. If starting from cold all the time, a secondary burner would be my choice. If using full time 24/7 a BK cat insert might be best.

Reactions: Dustin
The goal will be to heat as much as possible with wood so it will have a fire in it almost all winter.

assume BK is blaze King? Are all of their smaller models cat’s? I have never had a cat stove and might need to make sure I am comfortable with one. Time for some research I guess.

The goal will be to heat as much as possible with wood so it will have a fire in it almost all winter.

assume BK is blaze King? Are all of their smaller models cat’s? I have never had a cat stove and might need to make sure I am comfortable with one. Time for some research I guess.

I just got my first cat stove. I used secondary stoves for about ten years prior to this.

it’s stupid easy. I’ll never go back.

IF you like constantly messing with the stove, playing with the air control etc etc. a cat stove isn’t for you. It’s a set it and forget it until it gets chilly in the room deal.

Zero to fear with operating a Cat equipped stove. Nice even long term heat. Where are you in Wi.?
BK is Blaze King. Many here use them. Myself included. Not looking back!
Neat looking place.

Zero to fear with operating a Cat equipped stove. Nice even long term heat. Where are you in Wi.?
BK is Blaze King. Many here use them. Myself included. Not looking back!
Neat looking place.
Up by superior right on the st. Lous River

Up by superior right on the st. Lous River
I used to spend a fair amount of time snowmobiling up that way. Back when winter's included more regular snow! Beauty area. If I recall fishing the S. Louis was questionable back then due to some sort of pollution? Possibly?

I just got my first cat stove. I used secondary stoves for about ten years prior to this.

it’s stupid easy. I’ll never go back.

IF you like constantly messing with the stove, playing with the air control etc etc. a cat stove isn’t for you. It’s a set it and forget it until it gets chilly in the room deal.
Good secondary stoves are set it and forget it as well when set-up properly. I have used both and both have their strong points and weak points

Reactions: Dustin
With the small space I still recommend putting in a ~2 cu ft insert or stove. The chimney is on the short side. That is also going to determine the stove. Be sure the liner is insulated and look at units that will work with a 12' liner.

I used to spend a fair amount of time snowmobiling up that way. Back when winter's included more regular snow! Beauty area. If I recall fishing the S. Louis was questionable back then due to some sort of pollution? Possibly?
That might have been a long time back but but my understanding now is that it is considered great fishing.

With the small space I still recommend putting in a ~2 cu ft insert or stove. The chimney is on the short side. That is also going to determine the stove. Be sure the liner is insulated and look at units that will work with a 12' liner.
12” stack on just a ~2cu ft stove? Is there such a thing?

Good to hear on the river health!

@begreen what is your opinion of possibly extending the vent sys a bit if required for stove performance?