Help with older Appalachian Insert fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdb0468

Oct 3, 2015
Tennessee
I just purchased an older home. Home was built in the 70's. I have an Appalachian stove insert inside. I'm not sure if the model or how old it might be but its not working. I have read were you can remove the blower and oil it but I can't seem to figure out how the blower comes out. I can hear the blower making a hum noise when the switch is on. Any help would be great!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you will have to figure out how it comes apart. you could also have crap built up on the blower

oh yah welcome to the forum.

frank

i bet that whole unit slides out as a whole then you can take off the motor

View attachment 163013 I just purchased an older home. Home was built in the 70's. I have an Appalachian stove insert inside. I'm not sure if the model or how old it might be but its not working. I have read were you can remove the blower and oil it but I can't seem to figure out how the blower comes out. I can hear the blower making a hum noise when the switch is on. Any help would be great!
Looks like it is in pretty rough shape. Can you post a picture of the front of it? It would be easier for us to figure out what model it is than. Before we get too far into this though, do you know what kind of condition your chimney is in? Does it have a liner? Do you know about when the last time this insert has been used? Might seem like odd questions, but I'd hate for you to get it going and it burn down your house or worse.

I think the avatar is a pic of the insert. Not sure how to remove the blower but I would start with unplugging the unit. The cleaning out the gunk all around the blower cage and motor. Often this type of blower mounts with a flange screwed on to the stove body. That is where I would look first.

Yes the avatar is the stove. The chimney was cleaned and inspected by a chimney company. They are the ones who pulled the insert out and was able to get the damper open. It had been rusted shut. I know the house set vancant for at least 3 years, so I couldn't tell you the last time it was used. I also have four vents on the brick option of the actual fire place. The top two are empty and the bottom two have fans inside them. They work from a light switch next to the fireplace itself. What are those for??

image.jpg

The vents + lower fans were for heat recovery from the fireplace. They are probably not too useful with the insert in the fireplace because without the direct fire contact much less heat will go past the tubes and passage ways that connect the lower intake vents with the upper outlet vents.

Yes the avatar is the stove. The chimney was cleaned and inspected by a chimney company. They are the ones who pulled the insert out and was able to get the damper open. It had been rusted shut. I know the house set vancant for at least 3 years, so I couldn't tell you the last time it was used. I also have four vents on the brick option of the actual fire place. The top two are empty and the bottom two have fans inside them. They work from a light switch next to the fireplace itself. What are those for??

View attachment 163038
That insert actually looks pretty nice. I did tons of searching and can't seem to find that model. It could be that it needs to slide out to remove the blower. If you do slide it out look for a tag with the model number.

image.jpg
That insert actually looks pretty nice. I did tons of searching and can't seem to find that model. It could be that it needs to slide out to remove the blower. If you do slide it out look for a tag with the model number.
Thank you all for your replies. I was able to remove the blower. It actually had three screws that were gone and two metal prong type pieces holding it in. I was able to clean it out and she fired right up. i tried a fire and it didn't seem like much was going on. This insert must have an auto system because once the box got good and hot fans kicked on and heat started pumping out.
Thanks for the compliment on the box. It didn't look that nice when I first moved inside. Little paint and TLC..

Reactions: Wisneaky
Status
Not open for further replies.