Help with options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don.S

Nov 11, 2017
Montreal QC
20171104_153324.jpg 20171104_153200.jpg 20171104_123535.jpg 20171104_123459.jpg I have just purchased a new to me home built in 1979 and would like to replace the wood stove in the basement. The building is a 41x26 bungalow with a half unfinished basement but there is foam on the walls.
There is currntly a fire place in the basement with a 23.5 foot to the damper stone chimney. I will refinish the basement in the future so for now I would like to figure out my options. I am thinking a Drolet HT-2000 stove and I guess a flex liner up the chimney. Every stove shop I have spoken too doesn't even use solid liners and they say I do not have to insulate it. From what I have read solid and insulated would be better?
Can I just run stove pipe Into the fire place like it is ran now or is there a better option?
Right now I am heating with electric base boards and would love to do as much heating as I can with the stove.My location is Montreal Quebec. I would love to hear the ideas that you guys have.

Attachments

• 20171104_123451.jpg
    20171104_123451.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 112
View attachment 215847 View attachment 215848 View attachment 215849 View attachment 215851 I have just purchased a new to me home built in 1979 and would like to replace the wood stove in the basement. The building is a 41x26 bungalow with a half unfinished basement but there is foam on the walls.
There is currntly a fire place in the basement with a 23.5 foot to the damper stone chimney. I will refinish the basement in the future so for now I would like to figure out my options. I am thinking a Drolet HT-2000 stove and I guess a flex liner up the chimney. Every stove shop I have spoken too doesn't even use solid liners and they say I do not have to insulate it. From what I have read solid and insulated would be better?
Can I just run stove pipe Into the fire place like it is ran now or is there a better option?
Right now I am heating with electric base boards and would love to do as much heating as I can with the stove.My location is Montreal Quebec. I would love to hear the ideas that you guys have.
You are on the right track. Order your flex liner and insulation online, insulate it and install it. It should fit into the 10" round chimney you have just fine.

Connect it with the appropriate connections to your new Drolet HT 2000 and start heating your house. You'll benefit greatly from a block off plate to keep the heat in the house and not up the chimney.

Hope you have dry wood, that new stove of yours is going to require it. It's that simple. Leave those stove shops you've been visiting in your dust.

being from montreal, is that 10 inches or 10 centimeters on the tape?

edit: did the conversion math, ignore my stupid question.... <>

being from montreal, is that 10 inches or 10 centimeters on the tape?

edit: did the conversion math, ignore my stupid question.... <>
I had exactly the same thought, regarding inches or cm! I figured those would have to baby hands holding the tape if it were cm's.

I am concerned if it will draw corrctly with a 90 as soon as the pipe leaves the stove like the way it is right now. Is that fire place even worth keeping or what?
I am just trying to explore my different options. Am I been realistic thinking that I can heat most of my house with the stove in the basement?