Help With OWB newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmfan36

Jun 4, 2008
north jersey
Hi i was trying to find a boiler with hardly any smoke do to nj regulations.I see that the greenwood doesen't really smoke that much.is that true?any help appreciated

If you are looking at Outdoor - yes, Greenwood has a new one which is outdoor and is clean. Make sure it has EPA tag on it.

You can also look at the new Central Boiler EPA model.

Anything with the official EPA tag should be accepted in most places now and in the future.

First off I have been looking at OWB's for the last 14 years but never installed one till we had enough fuel for these WOOD HOGS we now have 304 acres and I'm ready.... my luck so is half the population.

I have a question as far as the OWB's in the future without "Tags" I am looking for remarks, opinions and facts. I went to our township and asked for a permit to install a OWB within all legal codes and to be installed by a legal mechanical plumber and licensed electrician. We needed an electrical permit and mechanical permit, that's it all legal as my township states. An employee of mine in another town north of me needed plumbing, electrical and zoning, he lives on 1 acre we have 17, maybe that's the reason? We are buying these units from a legal business and paying TAX on the unit and parts. If we are following the law and installing these legal at this time how can these be taken away in 2010?

They can't be taken away - just that you may not be able to burn it.........although you may be able to meet the regs somehow.....like being a certain distance away, chimney height, etc.

In general, mechanical codes and clean air regulations are not related. The "burning" part of it is no different than the DEP calling for no "open burning" because of pollution or fire danger. They have the right to regulate the airshed (air that other people have to breathe).

Keep in mind that even with your permit, OWB as they exist are a way to get AROUND codes and standards, as opposed to being built to meet them. So the makers have taken advantage of loopholes to make $$ and sales....so all the regs will do is make them conform in some sense to what many other products have had to do for decades.

Thank you for the info and reply but I still have a problem. I am not taking issue with your preference or opinion on OWB but more with the Government and proposed regs and people not doing their jobs.

Yes these companies are making $$, they are in business to do that just like I am. Who is asleep at the wheel to let these "loophole" exsist and more important are these units legal? and are these companies legal that manufacture these units? If they are not legal how can these companies be allowed to sell the unit and collect sales TAX and then pay payroll TAX and then K1 TAX at the end of the year. If they are not legal how can home owners be allowed to install them with the towns knowledge and then be told later you can't use them.

When a 1975 Mack dump comes into my shop to have an annual emission test there are emissions standards for a 1975 Mack. The Mack was legal in 1975 but is not up to 2008 new truck standards. We do not tell the customer he can own the truck but can't put fuel in it and operate the engine but has to push it. There are set regulations from when the emission tests were implimented.

These OWB' have been around for decades they are not new and again somebody is not doing their jobs to control them. They should have been regulated years ago and not be a knee jerk reaction to a growing problem. Why not having a convertor installed like older school buses and refuse trucks are having done.

Am I way off base or do you see my point with the rights of the people that purchased a legal product.

Status
Not open for further replies.