Help with repairs needed for gas fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zero_Volts

Nov 16, 2021
KS
Hey folks, I could use some help with a situation I've run into today.
I had a chimney sweep company come out today for a clean out and inspection before the heating season and they've dropped some expensive news on me. I have two fire places, the upstairs fireplace Fire place #1) we used last year gas log, top vented, and from what I've been able to read is its outside air combustion through a pipe in the side of the chimney. the other fireplace downstairs (fireplace #2) wasn't in operation when i bought the house and we haven't used it in the 1.5 years we've lived here. I was wanting to install a gas log setup in this fireplace as well. Each fireplace has its own chimney, no shared brick or flue pipe.
They have identified several areas of repair, they are as follows;
FP#1- needs the crown wash replaced, several cracks to large to consider a repair.
29027.jpeg

Flashing is rusted and needs replaced.
29024.jpeg

Needs power washed and water proofed

FP#2- Needs crown wash replaced, again cracks to large to consider repair
29038.jpeg

flashing also rusted and needs replaced
29025.jpeg

also needing power washed and water proofed
bottom and back refractory plates are cracked and need replaced, unsafe to burn
29036.jpeg

29039.jpeg

I did have 2nd company come and give an estimate and opinion on what needed done, no mention of flashing other than it was ok and no mention of washing and water proofing. said the refractory plates could be repaired with some sort of mortar? i forgot what exactly he called it.
A 3rd company i was able to speak with over the phone, also was able to text a couple pics of the issues, couldn't promise me he was correct about anything but said that both chimneys were built wrong for the air cooled flue pipe i had and needed a full cap built to replace. Made of stainless. He suggested I don't use either fireplace until he's able to come inspect, with a charge to do so of course, and could give me an actual estimate.

Company #1 quoted $3500 for the out side and $570 for the refractory panel replacement
Company #2 quoted $1400 for replacing the crown wash on both chimneys and $350 for the repair of the refractory panels
Company #3 didnt quote and thats fine but said both fireplaces were unfit to operate. I dont really give his statement much weight since he hasnt actually come out to see the issues. $175 for each fireplace, but this place is booked out until late January or February so really not an option as I want to get this taken care of and actually use them.

So i essentially had three companies give me three separate opinions on what was needed, making it impossible to have an apples to apples comparison and I really dont know which way to go with any of it.
Any help you all could give me or sites I could at least reference?

Hey folks, I could use some help with a situation I've run into today.
I had a chimney sweep company come out today for a clean out and inspection before the heating season and they've dropped some expensive news on me. I have two fire places, the upstairs fireplace Fire place #1) we used last year gas log, top vented, and from what I've been able to read is its outside air combustion through a pipe in the side of the chimney. the other fireplace downstairs (fireplace #2) wasn't in operation when i bought the house and we haven't used it in the 1.5 years we've lived here. I was wanting to install a gas log setup in this fireplace as well. Each fireplace has its own chimney, no shared brick or flue pipe.
They have identified several areas of repair, they are as follows;
FP#1- needs the crown wash replaced, several cracks to large to consider a repair.
View attachment 285615
Flashing is rusted and needs replaced.
View attachment 285616
Needs power washed and water proofed

FP#2- Needs crown wash replaced, again cracks to large to consider repair
View attachment 285617
flashing also rusted and needs replaced
View attachment 285618
also needing power washed and water proofed
bottom and back refractory plates are cracked and need replaced, unsafe to burn
View attachment 285619
View attachment 285620

I did have 2nd company come and give an estimate and opinion on what needed done, no mention of flashing other than it was ok and no mention of washing and water proofing. said the refractory plates could be repaired with some sort of mortar? i forgot what exactly he called it.
A 3rd company i was able to speak with over the phone, also was able to text a couple pics of the issues, couldn't promise me he was correct about anything but said that both chimneys were built wrong for the air cooled flue pipe i had and needed a full cap built to replace. Made of stainless. He suggested I don't use either fireplace until he's able to come inspect, with a charge to do so of course, and could give me an actual estimate.

Company #1 quoted $3500 for the out side and $570 for the refractory panel replacement
Company #2 quoted $1400 for replacing the crown wash on both chimneys and $350 for the repair of the refractory panels
Company #3 didnt quote and thats fine but said both fireplaces were unfit to operate. I dont really give his statement much weight since he hasnt actually come out to see the issues. $175 for each fireplace, but this place is booked out until late January or February so really not an option as I want to get this taken care of and actually use them.

So i essentially had three companies give me three separate opinions on what was needed, making it impossible to have an apples to apples comparison and I really dont know which way to go with any of it.
Any help you all could give me or sites I could at least reference?
Those appear to be factory built wood burning fireplaces. The small cracks in the refractories are acceptable up to a certain size and can be repaired with mortar.
The brick chimneys on the roof are decorative, their only function is to hide the factory built chimney pipe and to make it look more like a real fireplace. The brick looks to be in good shape. You can repair the wash or just put a stainless steel cover over it.
The flashing looks good to me, and if it is not leaking I would not touch it.