Help with RSF OPEL 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Marais

Dec 2, 2014
Canada
I recently had a an RSF Opel 2 installed in a new addition project. I'm having trouble with a few things that I'm hoping I can get some help with.

1. I have to burn pretty well at open draft. The odd time when I get it cranked up with Maple, I can damper it halfway, but for the most part, it needs to stay 3/4 to fully open. The exact opposite of my Pacific Energy which stack runs right beside it from the basement.
  2. I deal with a lot of glass fog on the Left side only. I'm assuming it has something to do with the combustion air being on the Right hand side. I'll post a photo below of what I'm referring too. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the bi-metallic damper...
  3. Every couple of fires, when I first fire up the stove, it literally rains black paper like film outside. I'm not sure if it's creosote build up, or what it is. It's extremely thin and when you try to handle it, it simply mushes together because it's damp....although it looks like it would crumble instead. I've also shown photos of that below. The stove is new and this started happening on fire # 20 or so.....if it is creosote, I'm wondering if that has anything to do with question # 2 above. Photos attached to show the substance. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Glass Haze.jpg
    Glass Haze.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 2014-12-26 09.06.41.jpg
    2014-12-26 09.06.41.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 2014-12-26 09.06.49.jpg
    2014-12-26 09.06.49.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 2014-12-26 09.16.16.jpg
    2014-12-26 09.16.16.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 2014-12-26 09.16.37.jpg
    2014-12-26 09.16.37.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 2014-12-26 09.17.22.jpg
    2014-12-26 09.17.22.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 2014-12-26 09.07.02.jpg
    2014-12-26 09.07.02.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 455
How tall is the flue on the RSF? How well seasoned is the wood. Is there any oak or hickory in the mix?

How tall is the flue on the RSF? How well seasoned is the wood. Is there any oak or hickory in the mix?

Approx 16' FT high excel chimney. I was burning mostly soft wood up until a week ago (Jack Pine & Poplar) but now I'm into Maple mostly and a bit of Birch.

The wood has been seasoned for 2-3 years.....should all be pretty good. Do you think it's Creosote?

The height sounds good. How much wood has already been burned? The first thing to check is the chimney cap screen. If that is clogging up the stove performance will be poor.

I would say about 2 cord at most. I don't think there is a screen on the cap - I believe it's just a cap. I know that my other stack for the pacific energy doesn't have one and I just put one on in the summer for birds/bats/bees, etc.
Do you think that substance is creosote? Do you think it's unsafe if it's getting blown out with hot start ups anyway?

I would just be guessing. The only way to tell is a visual inspection. But after 2 cords, I'd clean it and measure how much 'sote there was.

Thanks begreen. I'll see if it does it now that we're burning hard wood and quite a bit hotter. If it happens again, I'll strap on the old harness and get on the roof (something I'm not fond of)
I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Do you have an OPEL 2? If so, any history with the foggy glass situation?

I have only seen the Opel2 at shows. Never owned a ZC fireplace. My glass starts to get a thin ash film on it after a week or two of hot burns. When the stove is cooled down take some damp paper towels and dip them in the wood ash. Use that to scrub the glass clean, then wipe with clean towel.

hey. I haven't installed my opel yet but when I did some research I read somewhere that the left glass blacken because of the heat dump. (Think that's what it's called) . So if its hooked up it cools thst side of the firebox. I Can't really comment on anything else though. Like I said not burning yet ... maybe next year.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.