Help with some wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
I've been pulling dead cottonwoods out of my woods for a few days and found a tree down that I took out too. The inside makes me think oak, but it doesn't have the characteristic smell of red or pin that I'm used to.

Anyone have an idea of what this is?

image.jpg image.jpg

Me either ;lol

The inside is red-ish and the bark is very smooth, it really doesn't have a scent

This is a guess, but it may be young shagbark hickory. Their bark is smooth until they get some age on them. Probably my favorite firewood.

Sorry but it definitely not norway maple or a type of maple...

Reactions: JustWood
I just split some of the bigger rounds and they have a minty smell to them.

I'm thinking black birch now

But I don't think they grow down here in GA so I guess not

Darn I thought we had a winner<>

Last edited:
I just split some of the bigger rounds and they have a minty smell to them.

I'm thinking black birch now

Post a picture of one of the bigger rounds so we can see what the bark looks like, that might help if it looks a little different than these pictures.

They all look the same. By bigger I mean 6 inches rather than 2

Could be bass.

I think the rings are too far apart for it to be any quality wood.

Reactions: JustWood
The pink grain kind of reminds me of dogwood but I've never seen such smooth bark on a dogwood, nor have I seen one so straight. I'm stumped on this one

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that can't figure it out. Seems to me I've seen this before.

I have some of this on my farm too and it is for sure young shagbark hickory as twelvebravo said and it is a very good burning wood! enjoy the heat!!

The bark changes as the tree grows so it's harder to determine when their young, looks like some red oak I have but I'll defer to ck with his hickory.

No young hickories Ive cut shows growth rings. I have a small pignut in my hand. Growth rings are barely visible. And Im looking at the same diameter piece.
I dont know about pecan. It doesnt grow here.
Sorry guys. Just dont think its a hickory.

No young hickories Ive cut shows growth rings. I have a small pignut in my hand. Growth rings are barely visible. And Im looking at the same diameter piece.
I dont know about pecan. It doesnt grow here.
Sorry guys. Just dont think its a hickory.
Trees grow a heck of a lot faster in GA. than NY.!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.