Help with stove pipe on Grandpa Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
8inch female wont go over to fit...8 inch male doesnt fit in.What am i missing here im pulling my hair out.
Yeah they are a pain lots of old stoves are like that. You either need to peen out the female end to slide over. Or over crimp the male end which I usually hammer back out after it is in. There is also.an adapter that works. The picture is of the 6" version but you can figure it out from that

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_132144.jpg
    IMG_20200907_132144.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 323
Or buy a better stove the pipe will fit and it will work better hahahaha. Sorry.

To over crimp it you really need deep. Crimpers and go around it about 3 times offering your crimps a little each time

I got the female end on.Its a reducer to 6 inches.I wont be burning witht the stove open so i should be ok with the 6inch. My PapaBear sure was.

If this is a rear vent, the side of a Tee normally fits over it.

All early stoves had 6 or 8 inch OD. It was thin wall pipe, measuring 1/4 inch smaller inside for 1/8 wall. Later pipe was made for outlets 6 or 8 ID to fit stove pipe. They were 1/4 thick wall. You can find stoves with a very thick wall vent that some fabricators kept on hand in case a hole was cut too large. The larger OD saved a top or rear sheet plus the labor to remove and replace the sheet. They look like well casing. I think they are 1/2 inch thick wall.

FYI - for black pipe you want the male end going to the stove, this allows any liquid creosote to drain back to the firebox in the black pipe system.

I had the same problem so I made a collar to fit perfectly around stove flue hole

Attachments

• 20201111_125624.jpg
    20201111_125624.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 290
I had the same problem so I made a collar to fit perfectly around stove flue hole
Your pipes appear to all be backwards. Condensate will run outside of the joints and possibly onto stove top at stove collar. Crimped, male end facing down keeps condensate inside pipe to be consumed by stove.

Your wall protection is also not adequate if that is a combustible wall behind it. That is not a heat shield without 1 inch airspace behind it and open at bottom and top for air to enter at bottom, and heated air to rise out from behind it. It appears to be too small. You should not be able to measure 36 inches from stove in any direction to a combustible surface. Put a yard stick on stove corner, it should not touch the wall on any angle. That is the size an approved shield must be.