Help with stove pipe options for my setup thanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cjweaver13

Sep 21, 2022
PA
So we moved here about 1.5 years ago and when we arrive the previous owners installed a 40K btu propane stove. Prior to that it's my understanding they had a traditional wood stove, but they were older so switched before selling the house. Last year after running on propane, I decided this year we'd switch to pellet stove for 1/3 the operating cost if my figures are close. I went with a used Harman Accentra free standing stove which will arrive Thursday.

The current pipe is a vertical mounted class A chimney with 6" stove pipe coming down from the ceiling. The Harman uses a regular pellet stove 3" flue, and also is just a bit too deep without coming off the hearth stone at 90°, so my options are to get creative and put a couple small bends to come up, or lay a row of brick in front of the existing stone so the stove can be pulled up a bit more per se. Wondering between these 2 what makes more sense? People I talk to say venting won't be a problem either way since I'm already running 6" pipe and have plenty of height above the roof line.

Secondly, is it better to just go from 3">6" with an adapter, or is it better to do 2 steps and go 3>4 then 4>6 to meet the existing pipe?

Hard to see the depth in the photo, but maybe you can get a rough sense what I mean. If it were to be mounted perfectly vertical with a tee or 90° elbow, the stove will sit about 4" off the front of the stone. And no, I can't pull it forward or buy a bigger pad so trying to work between the 2 above parameters this year (excuse the dust)

IMG_0150.jpg

Reactions: CraneOp
This is how I installed my P61A with existing 6” stove pipe. Been 8 years like this.

7FA723C7-C6F0-4E28-AD44-C9C02BD22ED4.jpeg 3FF88D40-167F-4845-8887-17036F12BDF1.jpeg

I used3 inch and connected into the 6 in class A chimney
with a 2 to 6 connecter and have never had a problem.
Just remember the gas stove pipe is not rated for a pellet stove
Don't forget to plug the stove into a surge protector!

DSCF1044.JPG

For Cory S, how often do you have to clean the ash out as I see no clean out T?

For Cory S, how often do you have to clean the ash out as I see no clean out T?
I do it every 2nd season. Honestly, I could get away with every 3rd season. There’s maybe 1/4-1/2” dusting in there at most.

Reactions: Washed-Up
No kidding, you must do the leaf blower trick regularly then? My P61 is about 1/2” a month in the T

No kidding, you must do the leaf blower trick regularly then? My P61 is about 1/2” a month in the T
WOW….. That’s a LOT….. No tricks here. My ash bucket catches around 99% of ash and flying embers. I also adjusted my exhaust vacuum for max efficiency, so it wasn’t pulling excessive draft/heat up the flue.

Reactions: Washed-Up