Help with this Appalachian Wood Stove and proper maintenance....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

amyb5382

Dec 12, 2017
VA
Hi guys, my husband and I purchased our current home 3 years ago and it has this wood stove in our den downstairs. We had never thought of using it until this year. We have used it 2 times so far and seems to run well and heat our large den much better than our natural gas furnace or a space heater. Plus I just love the look, smell and sound of a wood stove running and burning. We are wondering if the blower on these need to be oiled? The previous owners used the stoves yearly and maintained them well. They had just had the chimneys swept as well. We also have a classic fireplace in our formal den upstairs as well we are using some too. Also does anyone know the model of this one and if their is a manual out there somewhere?
Will the brass on this clean up? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20171212_081650.jpg
    20171212_081650.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 1,172
Yes, the blower should be removed and cleaned once a year and then the motor oiled. The brass on the door and air vents looks to be solid. If so it should clean up nicely with a bit of brass polish. The rest of the trim appears to be brass plated and care must be taken not to use an abrasive cleaner on those surfaces or the plating may be worn off by cleaning.