Help with this tree.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Simoniz

Nov 6, 2014
Browns Summit NC
Guys, I have been looking at this tree a week now. No leafs left. Is it a Ash by chance horizontal branches? Here are some pictures. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20141116_121957.jpg
    20141116_121957.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 153
An ash will have "opposite branching." I actually see alternate branching. NOT ash.

Looks more like a tutiptree (aka yellow poplar). Look for the distinctive leaves on the ground.

Yup, the bark says tulip poplar. I lived in the hill country of VA years ago where tulip poplars grow like weeds. Had a couple large forest poplars taken down in the front yard back then. Couldn't find a mill that wanted 'em so we bucked and split 'em for firewood.

Poplar burns quickly, I was all the time feeding the stove when we had it. If better firewood was available I wouldn't take a load of poplar for free, delivered and stacked by the door. :)

Reactions: Rebelduckman
Tulip Poplar. I can see the distinctive seed heads that used to be the flowers. I think Tulip is decent firewood. It is a lot better than 'true' poplars. Yours looks like a tall tree. Tulip Poplar is one of the tallest trees in the eastern US.

Status
Not open for further replies.