Help with tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john84

Oct 22, 2013
Mass
Can someone help me ID this tree, I know it's a bad time of year because there are no leaves on it. It has large green leaves and drops berries that look like long strawberries.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 323
Okay need to look at buds, leaf scars and so forth. But right off long shot is Tulip Poplar with that long straight trunk.

There is certainly plenty of that in Massachusetts. I have 3 of these trees in my yard, I haven't seen them anywhere else in my area.

Driving me nuts not being able to ID it.

The never turn black, mulberries change in color correct? The ones on this tree are light red almost pink

Kousa dogwood? Those aren't supposed to get that big though.

Tulip poplar 'fruits' (unopened flowers) are smooth and look like small pickles more than anything.

I have no clue what I am looking at in the photo. It looks like prickly pear cactus. :)

I have 3 like that all straight as an arrow, the one in my backyard is the biggest. Any idea on resources to ID this tree?

That does look a little like a magnolia fruit but the tree doesn't look like a magnolia... though maybe it grew so straight and tall and branchless because of the overshadowing pines?

According to "Trees of North America", it may be a cucumber tree ( magnolia acuminata ) going by the fruit and bark. It is the northern-most magnolia in North America. They are also native to Canada.
The fruit looks like a warty cucumber and turns red at maturity.

This site has some good photos:
https://selectree.calpoly.edu/tree-detail/magnolia-acuminata

yes im going with cucumber! we call em pickle trees hahaha. very close to poplar(liriodendron tulipifora) in appearance . actually at the sawmill, we saw the cucumber along with the yellow poplar when we make a run of poplar lumber. only the best most experienced lumber graders can ID the cucumber lumber apart from the poplar.

+4 for cucumber magnolia (Magnolia acuminata).
https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/species/magnolia/acuminata/
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=5

The pic of the ripened fruit combined with its large tree size and form (tall, straight trunk) make it a ringer for M.acuminata. It along with tulip-poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera) are the only shade tree sized magnolias.
It's natural distribution is along the Appalachians (it's favors sites mixed mesophytic sites - well-drained, deep soils of sheltered mountain coves).
Not found in pure stands, but is sporadic within its range and habitat.
It's not popularly planted as a landscape specimen, but as a magnolia it does have a number of cultivated varieties, some hybridized with other magnolias.
I have one in my yard, but soil and climate in southwest Ohio aren't conducive to good growth.

Cucumber is seen mostly with older landscape plantings in this area. Tree identification in school got most of us on that one.