Help with VC Encore Cat Probe/Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

t0asty

Oct 12, 2021
NJ
Just picked up a brand new VC Encore 2040 CAT-C (replaced an old VC Defiant 1975 non-cat). (My first EPA stove which I was 50/50 on to begin with but that's another story... )
I have read the install manual and operational manual front and back and I am a little disappointed in the lack of information/imagery with installing and understanding the cat temperature probe. I also find it odd that I have the "force" the probe through the fabric material in the back, and that to get a reading on the thermometer you are to lean over the stove and look down behind it. Seems like a big design flaw in my opinion and again, hardly any information on this. I've yet to install the probe as I was considering buying a digital thermometer instead and mounting it near the stove to get an accurate reading as opposed to the one provided with the stove. Is this common? Any suggestions?

My first thought was: "I don't even need to install the probe/thermometer" but after reading a lot that seems like a bad idea and will need to know how hot its burning as they can get +1,000 degrees (f).
If anyone has any photos as well that has done this that would be greatly appreciated! I am hesitant to put a hole anywhere in my brand new stove until I have a better understanding of this. Thank you!

VC_Encore.jpg

Many of us are using a non factory digital probe. Im using the AUBOR AT100 with K type probe.. its a better set up.. the readings are extremely fast, the display is loke 4ft ftom the stove. you want to install the probe to make sure the cat lights off..or see when it gets high or is starting to stall ..

Thank you! I just ordered with the AT100. I appreciate your help. I'll feel much more comfortable knowing what the cat is doing and even setting up an alarm if needed.

Thank you! I just ordered with the AT100. I appreciate your help. I'll feel much more comfortable knowing what the cat is doing and even setting up an alarm if needed.

No problem.. were here the share information.. what part of NJ are u in

I have mine zip tied on the original clip that held the bimettal prob in place. its pretty simple.. Get the stove up to temp and then close the damper with air wide open.. once the cat lights off around 600 let it go.. Ill start to close the air around 800 to 1000 degrees.. depending on how much wood is in the stove or heat needs..

Reactions: t0asty
I have mine zip tied on the original clip that held the bimettal prob in place. its pretty simple.. Get the stove up to temp and then close the damper with air wide open.. once the cat lights off around 600 let it go.. Ill start to close the air around 800 to 1000 degrees.. depending on how much wood is in the stove or heat needs..
Thanks. I am in Morris County. Again, this is very helpful. It isn't my primary heat source but I supplement my boiler with wood heat as much as possible in the winter. With this more efficient stove, longer burn times, and (as minor as it may seem) removable ash pan, I plan on a very active wood stove this winter. I have plenty of 2yr seasoned red oak as well as maple/ash so fuel isn't a concern and it was all sweat equity.

My vc encore came with the house and the previous owner didn’t have any cat temp probe installed...but his son said they probably didn’t have it lit 3 times in 30 years either so :rolleyes:

Anyhow I went with the auber based on recommendations from this site and have been pleased with it for the last 4 years.

Reactions: t0asty
My old stove had 8" pipe and that is what is the rough opening into the brick, the with Encore being 6" I will need a step-up fitting. Any insight on if this is best to do it before or after an elbow fitting? And I did not have a pipe damper on my previous setup, something to consider as I am going from 6" to 8" out to chimney? Thanks.

Id read your manual.. I looked yours up.. you can use the 8 inch

View attachment 298695
Yes thank you. I guess it doesn't really matter where the 6" to 8" step up fitting is, it is more about aesthetics? I will do some more research on if a stove pipe damper is needed or not. I guess I could always add one if necessary after.

Yes thank you. I guess it doesn't really matter where the 6" to 8" step up fitting is, it is more about aesthetics? I will do some more research on if a stove pipe damper is needed or not. I guess I could always add one if necessary after.
there is a damper in the stove.. how may ft is the stove pipe from the stove to the cap.. this is a downdraft stove.. me personally.. I wouldn't put a key damper in the stove pipe..

there is a damper in the stove
Yes I know, I am only talking about a key damper in the pipe, which I probably will not install. I took out all the old stove pipe to the brick and will put in new, will likely put a 8" step up right before going into brick.

Hi all,

I really appreciate the wisdom on these forums!

Temperatures are dropping here in Western Colorado so I decided it was time to commence the rebuild of my Defiant 2190 that I have been planning. This morning I disassembled the stove and am making sure I have all the gaskets etc that I need for the rebuild.

A couple questions that I would appreciate some guidance on:

- Wondering how to know if my secondary air probe is functioning properly - it looks pretty haggard but I probably would too if I lived in the firebox so looking for a way to test before dropping another $70.

- I have a 4” temp probe that I bought last spring that I am looking to install. A little confused how people are doing this. Do I just put another hole in the back of the stove below the secondary air probe hole?

Thanks much for any help!

Brian
Paonia, CO

Hi all,

I really appreciate the wisdom on these forums!

Temperatures are dropping here in Western Colorado so I decided it was time to commence the rebuild of my Defiant 2190 that I have been planning. This morning I disassembled the stove and am making sure I have all the gaskets etc that I need for the rebuild.

A couple questions that I would appreciate some guidance on:

- Wondering how to know if my secondary air probe is functioning properly - it looks pretty haggard but I probably would too if I lived in the firebox so looking for a way to test before dropping another $70.

- I have a 4” temp probe that I bought last spring that I am looking to install. A little confused how people are doing this. Do I just put another hole in the back of the stove below the secondary air probe hole?

Thanks much for any help!

Brian
Paonia, CO

when your asking about an air probe are you asking about the cat temperature probe??? there is no air probe that i know of

Reactions: Matt Brandon
What info are you looking for, if you are asking me yes I got it all figured out and been using the stove and the CAT thermo.
Hi All,
I'm brand new to this forum. This is my first post! I also have a new VC Encore and am disappointed by the vauge temp probe instructions. t0asty, are you able to post a picture? I'm still not sure where to even put the probe into the stove, the picture in the manual is not helpful. Also, assuming you purchased that aforementioned WRNK-191 the high temp probe - does it come with a digital reader? From the auberins website, it looks like it's just the probe and wires. Thank you!

I have a probe question. My catalyst is 2.5" wide so am I right in Assuming I want the probe tip in the center of the cat? I see the WRNK 191 probe is 6" which is quite a bit longer than I would need.

Hi All,
I'm brand new to this forum. This is my first post! I also have a new VC Encore and am disappointed by the vauge temp probe instructions. t0asty, are you able to post a picture? I'm still not sure where to even put the probe into the stove, the picture in the manual is not helpful. Also, assuming you purchased that aforementioned WRNK-191 the high temp probe - does it come with a digital reader? From the auberins website, it looks like it's just the probe and wires. Thank you!

There should be a plug in the back of the stove.. outside.. that gets removed. We just had a number of people ask this in the VC owners thread and I posted a bunch of pictures

Also your going to nee to purchas the AUBOR AT100 to go with the prob that I losted in reply #2

I have a probe question. My catalyst is 2.5" wide so am I right in Assuming I want the probe tip in the center of the cat? I see the WRNK 191 probe is 6" which is quite a bit longer than I would need.

My cat is also 2.5 inches wide and Im using the 6in probe.. the probe gets slid in from the back of the stove

20221015_132932.jpg 20221015_132914.jpg 20221010_171700.jpg

I see your probe tip is about the center of the catalyst. I will see if I can find a thermocouple probe that's a right angle style that won't stick out as far. There's nothing on the back of my stove to support it.